Clutch Play Earns Berdych His Fifth ATP Title
*GREENVILLE, SC, May 11, 2009 - * By summoning his most fearless play in the waning moments of four consecutive matches, Dunlop Tour Team member Tomas Berdych clinched his fifth career title today in Munich with a stirring 6-4, 4-6, 7-6(5) victory over 2007 Munich runner-up Mikhail Youzhny. In his five tournament matches this week, Berdych won three third set tiebreaks and four three set matches.
Playing aggressive tennis and pressuring Youzhny throughout the afternoon, Berdych captured his second title on clay (Palermo 2004). Now the powerful Czech heads into the Madrid TMS event with a renewed momentum, something that can also be said for another Dunlop Tour Team Member- James Blake. The American recaptured his form this week in Estoril, Portugal, reaching the final before losing to Spain’s Albert Montanes in three sets.
Berdych’s win is the fourth this year for the Dunlop Tour Team, following two wins by Tommy Robredo and one by Nicolas Almagro earlier this year.
“It’s great to see some positive momentum for the Tour Team heading into Roland Garros, where Dunlop is the official ball sponsor,” said Kai Nitsche, Dunlop’s General Manager of Racquet Sports. “With the emergence of Tomas and James on clay, Dunlop has some legitimate threats as we approach the second Grand Slam event of the year.”
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Rafa Nadal: First Match, First Data
- Babolat presents connected tennis
- adidas Roland Garros Collection by Y-3
- CopperWynd announces new Director of Tennis
- ITA secures partnership with Oracle
- Ashaway introduces ZyMax 62 Fire
- Tecnifibre launches ‘Young Guns’ contest
- More facilities offer 'Try Tennis Free'
- Tennis Channel adds two new shows
- Pros attend Cardio Tennis Trainer Summit