Cardio Tennis Player of the Month: Dr. Julie Hollifield
Up until two years ago, Dr. Julie Hollifield, 38, had never played tennis. Then a friend bought her a series of tennis lessons as a gift. On the first day, she saw Cardio Tennis on a nearby court. “I saw them running around and playing with the up‐beat music,” she says. “It just looked like so much fun, I immediately signed up for the next class.” And it only took one class to get her completely hooked.
Now a 3.5 player, Hollifield participates in Cardio Tennis at Serendipity in Sarasota, Fla., five times a week and has dropped close to 25 pounds in the process. “I’m losing weight without even realizing it. It’s so much fun that it doesn’t feel like exercise—more like recess for adults,” says Hollifield, who burns from 450 to 650 calories every class. “I’ve never been so fit before. I run across the street and realize that I’m not out of breath anymore.”
Hollifield has also noticed a tremendous improvement in her footwork and level of play. Not only has her rating improved in just a year of Cardio, but also, she’s taking everything she does in her Cardio classes onto the competitive court. “I’ll be playing a match and hit a few shots and think to myself, ‘That is just what we did in Cardio Tennis yesterday.’”
Do you or someone you know have what it takes to be Cardio Tennis Player of the Month? E-mail your story to Amanda@tennisindustry.org. If your story is featured, you will win a Cardio Tennis Survival Kit.
TIA Update search
TIA Update items
- Tennis Leads Traditional Sports In Participation Growth Rate
- Attention Tennis Providers: Update or Add Your Information Now at GrowTennis.com!
- 2011 State of the Industry Report
- Retailers: Stock Up On 10 and Under Tennis Balls
- 'Dashboard' tracks progress on 10 and Under Tennis
- Tennis Retail A Key Focus At Industry Meetings
- Simple Message to Serve As a Rallying Call for Industry Growth
- Tennis Providers: What Does PlayTennis.com Mean for You?
- Resources for TIA Retail Members
- Business Assessment Program for Tennis Retailers