Tennis Participation — Up 43% — Generates National Buzz
As Seen on “Live! With Regis & Kelly”
The big news that tennis is the fastest growing traditional participation sport over the last eight years — by a wide margin — was shown on “Live! With Regis & Kelly” in May. Host Regis Philbin, an avid tennis player himself, held up a chart by the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association that shows from 2000 to 2008, tennis participation grew by 43 percent, far outpacing every other traditional sport. A distant second place is another racquet sport, racquetball, increasing 11.6 percent in those eight years. The only other sports to show participation increases since 2000 are soccer (up 2.2 percent) and basketball (1 percent). Every other traditional sport declined in participation, including golf (down 4.3 percent).
TIA Update search
TIA Update items
- Tennis Leads Traditional Sports In Participation Growth Rate
- Attention Tennis Providers: Update or Add Your Information Now at GrowTennis.com!
- 2011 State of the Industry Report
- Retailers: Stock Up On 10 and Under Tennis Balls
- 'Dashboard' tracks progress on 10 and Under Tennis
- Tennis Retail A Key Focus At Industry Meetings
- Simple Message to Serve As a Rallying Call for Industry Growth
- Tennis Providers: What Does PlayTennis.com Mean for You?
- Resources for TIA Retail Members
- Business Assessment Program for Tennis Retailers