Groth and Karlovic into Newport semifinals
NEWPORT, R.I. — Australian Samuel Groth made his way into his first ATP World Tour semifinal at Newport today, defeating defending champion Nicolas Mahut, 6-3, 6-4.
“I’ve got myself in great shape,” reflected Groth on his recent rise. “I’m not losing my mind out on court. I’m doing a lot of things better. I’ve tightened up my groundstrokes. I’m volleying better than I ever have. I’m making it tough for guys to break me. I’m becoming a more complete player.”
Also advancing to the semifinals was Croatia’s Ivo Karlovic, who edged Dudi Sela 7-6(3), 7-5. Karlovic will face Groth in the semifinals.
In doubles action in Newport today, the teams of Chris Guccione and Lleyton Hewitt, Austin Krajicek and John-Patrick Smith, and Jonathan Ehrlich and Rajeev Ram all earned semifinal berths.
Friday in Newport will offer up lots of great tennis. The day opens with a doubles match featuring defending doubles champion Nicolas Mahut and partner Sergiy Stakhovsky versus the Canadian pairing of 8-time Grand Slam champion Daniel Nestor and Adil Shamasdin. Next up on Center Court will be two big singles matches - Lleyton Hewitt versus Steve Johnson, and an all-American quarterfinal between John Isner and Jack Sock. Hewitt is back on court to close out the day, playing a doubles semifinal with Chris Guccione versus Austin Krajicek and John-Patrick Smith.
Matt Ebden at the Alex and Ani Runway Show, featuring Fila and Brooks Brothers
Off the courts in Newport today, players and guests participated in Alex and Ani Ladies Day at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, featuring a runway show with looks by Fila and Brooks Brothers. ATP World Tour players Matt Ebden and Steve Johnson were among those to walk the runway.
RESULTS - JULY 10, 2014
Singles - Quarterfinals
-  I Karlovic (CRO) d D Sela (ISR) 76(3) 75
- S Groth (AUS) d  N Mahut (FRA) 63 64
Doubles - Quarterfinals
- A Krajicek (USA) / J Smith (AUS) d  M Ebden (AUS) / S Groth (AUS) 63 64
- C Guccione (AUS) / L Hewitt (AUS) d D Sharan (IND) / D Young (USA) 75 63
- J Erlich (ISR) / R Ram (USA) d S Ratiwatana (THA) / S Ratiwatana (THA) 75 76(1)
ORDER OF PLAY - FRIDAY, JULY 11, 2014
CENTER start 11:00 am
- N Mahut (FRA) / S Stakhovsky (UKR) vs  D Nestor (CAN) / A Shamasdin (CAN)
Not Before 1:00 pm
-  L Hewitt (AUS) vs  S Johnson (USA)
-  J Isner (USA) vs  J Sock (USA)
- C Guccione (AUS) / L Hewitt (AUS) vs A Krajicek (USA) / J Smith (AUS)
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Stapleton named Member of the Year
- USTA awarded millions in 2014
- Elshorbagy is 2015 ToC champion
- Rodriguez claims Motor City Open 2015
- Hestley earns PTR Master of Tennis
- HEAD extends partnership Djokovic
- Ashe to PTR Hall of Fame
- 90 seconds can change everything
- Wilson releases Rush Pro 2.0 shoe
- Key industry conferences set for March