Hewitt and Sock into Newport semifinals
NEWPORT, R.I. — Former World No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, a two-time finalist at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, earned a spot in the semifinals once again after defeating No. 6 seed Steve Johnson 6-4, 6-4 today.
“I feel pretty good at the moment. I’m getting my match toughness back. I think that’s important when you’re out there,” said Hewitt, who converted three of four break points.
In today’s other quarterfinal match, American Jack Sock, who won the Wimbledon doubles title last week, continued his successful grass court season, defeating two-time past champion John Isner.
“I’m pretty high on confidence right now,” said Sock. “Today was a good win for me. I was pretty happy about it.
“This is one of my favourite tournaments of the year. I love the city, I love the town. I love the tournament. It’s nice finishing up the European swing and coming back to play the first tournament in the United States in such a cool area,” added Sock.
Before the matches get underway tomorrow, the festivities kick off with the Class of 2014 Enshrinement Ceremony, when the highest honor in tennis will be presented to former world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, 5-time Paralympic champion Chantal Vandierendonck, legendary tennis coach Nick Bollettieri, tennis industry leader Jane Brown Grimes, and historian and author John Barrett. The ceremony will be broadcast live on Tennis Channel.
RESULTS - JULY 11, 2014
Singles - Quarterfinals
-  J Sock (USA) d  J Isner (USA) 64 76(4)
-  L Hewitt (AUS) d  S Johnson (USA) 64 64
Doubles - Semifinals
- C Guccione (AUS) / L Hewitt (AUS) d A Krajicek (USA) / J Smith (AUS) 76(1) 61
- N Mahut (FRA) / S Stakhovsky (UKR) d  D Nestor (CAN) / A Shamasdin (CAN) 63 64
ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, JULY 12, 2014
CENTER start 12:00 pm
Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
- S Groth (AUS) vs  I Karlovic (CRO)
Not Before 4:00 pm
-  J Sock (USA) vs  L Hewitt (AUS)
- J Erlich (ISR) / R Ram (USA) vs N Mahut (FRA) / S Stakhovsky (UKR)
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- USF to host College Tennis Exposure Camp
- New date for Match for Africa 3
- Haas joins PlaySight team
- Ashaway Power Filament micro squash string
- USPTA to offer insurance options
- Fromuth seeks stringers for USTA National Campus
- PlaySight introduces challenge system
- Olympic tennis stadium to be demolished
- Sharapova returns to action October 10
- Ashaway continues as USA R'ball Official String