Berman named PTR Wheelchair Pro of the Year
Hilton Head Island, SC — Professional Tennis Registry (PTR) presented its annual awards last week during the 2014 PTR International Tennis Symposium. The event, which includes 40-plus on court and classroom presentations for tennis teachers and coaches, a trade show and tournament, was held February 20-23 on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
Rich Berman, of Boulder, Colorado, was named PTR Wheelchair Professional of the Year.
Berman is a fixture on wheelchair tennis scene. He coached the #1 player in the world - David Hall - as far back as 1993. In 1998, Berman and Bill Trubey wrote the supplement PTR Instructing Wheelchair Tennis, and produced the video PTR Introduction to Teaching Wheelchair Tennis.
Not surprising, Berman was named PTR Volunteer of the Year in 1999. Berman’s passion for wheelchair tennis was recognized in 2012, when USTA Colorado presented him the Arthur Ashe Award for outstanding contributions to the under served.
He is so dedicated to coaching and expanding the horizons of wheelchair tennis, last year Berman launched a website - letsrollwheelchairtennis.com - with David Hall. The site offers video tutorials to help coaches and disabled athletes - or players new to the game - to teach and play wheelchair tennis. The website is 100% free!
Reserved and unassuming, Berman always gives credit to others. It is time Berman be recognized for his steadfast passion for wheelchair tennis and PTR.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Agassi to replay 1996 Olympic gold match
- FILA and ITHF launch new program
- Tennis is first to endorse ‘CEO Pledge’
- Castagnet switches to Ashaway
- Rome TC selects management team
- HEAD introduces the Speed Limited Edition
- Philippoussis goes 2-For-2 in PowerShares
- Philippoussis kicks off 2016 with a bang
- Eight named to National Junior Team
- USTA to launch nationwide kids’ audition