Cibulkova runner-up in AO final
Dominika Cibulkova finished as runner-up in the Australian Open after coming off second best to China’s Li Na in the Melbourne final.
The Slovakian produced a typically all-action performance but came up short as Na won the clash 7-6(3), 6-0.
Cibulkova, who plays with the Dunlop Biomimetic M4.0 racket, came into Melbourne as the 20th seed but was clearly not overawed by the challenge by going head-to-head with some of the world’s best.
With the Slovak’s previous Grand Slam best coming when she reached the French Open semi-final in 2009, Cibulkova was widely considered to be the surprise package of the tournament going into the final after impressive wins over Maria Sharapova and Agnieszka Radwanska.
Following the match, Cibulkova said: ‘Congratulations to Li, she played brilliantly and is a deserving champion. I couldn’t have done any more and I’m so proud of what I’ve achieved here. Hopefully the momentum I’ve gained here will help me push on to a Grand Slam title in the future’.
Hunter Hines, Director of Marketing and Product for Dunlop Racquet Sports, said: “We’re very proud of Dominika and her superb performances in Melbourne this year. She’s one of the most talented players in the women’s game and we’ve no doubt her first taste of a Grand Slam final will hold her in good stead for the future. She’s been a valued member of our Tour Team for many years now and we look forward to supporting her as she continues her pursuit of a maiden Grand Slam.’
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Philippoussis wins PowerShares finale
- Bollettieri launches coaching website
- Tecnifibre appoints SoCal brand ambassador
- Drysdale Tennis partners with CopperWynd
- Longoria, Vargas dominate pro racquetball
- Facilities joining ‘Try Tennis Free’ campaign
- Roddick wins 7th title in Richmond
- PTR welcomes two corporate members
- VA and USTA Foundation form partnership
- All HEAD Penn ladies racquetball final again