NYJTL honors Tennis Channel and Solomon
New York Junior Tennis & Learning (NYJTL) honored Tennis Channel and Chairman & CEO Ken Solomon this afternoon at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City.
NYJTL is the largest provider of tennis and education services in the nation and serves more than 75,000 children in New York’s five boroughs in 26 schools and 68 community-based sites.
The Leadership Awards Luncheon is NYJTL’s major annual fundraiser drawing 400 guests annually to the sold out event that has been underwritten by the Lawrence B. and Frances Benenson Family Foundation since its inception in 1986. Luncheon co-chairs are Lawrence Benenson, Peter Malkin, and Polly Scott. Honorary Chairs include Jeanne Moutoussamy Ashe, former Mayor David Dinkins, and USTA President David Haggerty.
“The Tennis Channel is being honored in 2013 because it represents excellence in presenting all the benefits of playing tennis from the highest levels of the professional game to the joys of the every day player, “ said Dr. Deborah Antoine, NYJTL President & CEO. “Ken Solomon has been the driving force behind the growth of the Tennis Channel into more than 35 million homes nationwide.”
Legendary tennis coach Nick Bollettieri, who recently provided hands on instruction more than 600 NYJTL participants at the Fall Tennis Festival, introduced Solomon.
Recent past honorees have included Bill Ackman, Clay Hamlin, Billie Jean King, Howard Lutnick, and John McEnroe.
In addition to honoring Tennis Channel, NYJTL presented the following awards:
- NYJTL Achievement Award— Amanda Rivera, 9, who attends Our World Charter School in Queens.
- Irwin Askenase Sportsmanship Award—Chris Tham, 12, who attends Adrien Block IS 25 in Queens.
- Principal of the Year—Ed Tom, who is the founder of Bronx Center for Science and Mathematics High School in the South Bronx.
Sports broadcaster Bill Macatee was the master of ceremonies, and ATP Player Council representative and Tennis Channel broadcaster Justin Gimelstob conducted the live auction of two VIP Grand Slam packages to the French Open, donated by Tennis Channel, and to the US Open, donated by USTA.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Stapleton named Member of the Year
- USTA awarded millions in 2014
- Elshorbagy is 2015 ToC champion
- Rodriguez claims Motor City Open 2015
- Hestley earns PTR Master of Tennis
- HEAD extends partnership Djokovic
- Ashe to PTR Hall of Fame
- 90 seconds can change everything
- Wilson releases Rush Pro 2.0 shoe
- Key industry conferences set for March