USTA to further its commitment to youth tennis
FLUSHING, N.Y. — The USTA today announced a further commitment to its national efforts to grow youth participation and encourage children to lead a healthy lifestyle. This new commitment, which was pledged to the Partnership for a Healthier America in support of Let’s Move!, was applauded by First Lady Michelle Obama during Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day, held today in Arthur Ashe Stadium. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day, a full day of tennis and musical entertainment on the grounds of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, serves as the opening event of the US Open.
The USTA has committed to the following over a three-year period beginning in 2014:
- Install at least 5,000 new kid-sized tennis courts throughout the country
- Train at least 15,000 new coaches, teachers and volunteers to deliver youth tennis training and programming
- Engage at least 300,000 youth in after-school and summer programs through the National Junior Tennis and Learning (NJTL) network - a group that provides free or low-cost tennis, education, and life skills programming to youth in underserved communities
- Donate new tennis equipment to schools and youth facilities committed to providing USTA youth tennis programs.
The USTA’s drive to get more children active and more playing tennis has seen significant positive results. To date, the USTA has constructed or refurbished more than 10,000 youth-sized and regular-sized tennis courts in communities across the country. Thousands of facilities across the country now provide youth tennis programming. In 2012, tennis participation of six to 12 year olds grew by 13%, the largest percentage increase of any age group in the country.
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- Davis Cup tickets to go on sale Dec. 6th
- ASBA releases informative video
- Tennis Channel to rebroadcast French Open
- SGI, PHIT America announce 'Challenge'
- NYJTL honors Tennis Channel and Solomon
- Mylan WTT relocates; Roddick to star on team
- TGA Premier Youth Tennis launches 22nd franchise
- Ashaway named the Official String of PTR
- eBay Hire joins PTR
- Ashaway to sponsor junior squash tournament