U.S. to host Sweden in 2013 Fed Cup
The United States Fed Cup Team will host Sweden in the 2013 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Playoff April 20-21 at a site to be determined. The International Tennis Federation announced the draws for the World Group and World Group II Playoffs on Wednesday.
The USTA is finalizing the site selection process and plans to make an announcement in the next two weeks.
Winning nations in the 2013 World Group Playoff qualify for the 2014 World Group to compete for a Fed Cup title. The U.S. fell to Italy, 3-2, in the 2013 World Group first round in Rimini Feb. 9-10 despite two singles victories by world No. 21 Varvara Lepchenko (Allentown, Pa.) over No. 7 Sara Errani and No. 16 Roberta Vinci in Lepchenko’s Fed Cup debut.
Fed Cup by BNP Paribas is the world’s largest annual international women’s team competition with 97 countries entering in 2013. The United States leads all nations with 17 Fed Cup titles, the last coming in 2000. For more information, including access to player and historical Fed Cup records, please go to www.usta.com/fedcup.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Roddick wins 7th title in Richmond
- PTR welcomes two corporate members
- VA and USTA Foundation form partnership
- All HEAD Penn ladies racquetball final again
- Djokovic wins 3 Masters 1000 titles in a row
- ITF designates PTR Wheelchair Championships
- Roddick breaks Sampras record in Dallas
- Roddick ties Sampras record in Little Rock
- Roddick wins title in Austin
- Thelma Coyne Long has passed away