Resort serves up championship tennis
Tucson, Ariz. — Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort & Spa is proud to announce that its junior tennis team, the Cactus Stars, won the 12-and-younger title at the 2012 United States Professional Tennis Association Southwest Junior Team Tennis Championships. The Cactus Stars, coached by the resort’s Director of Tennis, Tom Lepisto and Tennis Instructor Dan Prasil, got to the tournament by winning the Tucson City Junior Tennis League’s tournament with a perfect 7-0 record. The 12-and-younger team earned the right to play in the 2012 USTA Southwest Junior Team Tennis Championships in Tucson Aug. 10-12 against teams from Santa Fe, Phoenix, Flagstaff, El Paso and Yuma.
“We’re extremely proud of the seven girls and three boys who have worked so hard to make this season a success — and have fun along the way,” said Prasil and Lepisto.
The Cactus Stars members are:
- Girls: Jessie Marmorstein, Kate Maxfield, Sofia Festis, Emily Detloff, Racheal Hess, Max Szerlip and Emma Riley
- Boys: Christian Festis, Jake Palmieri and Sumedh Prasad
By day, Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort & Spa gives tennis enthusiasts an opportunity to play with breathtaking mountain views as a backdrop. By night, tennis players can use any of five courts, which are lit for night play. Players of all ages and abilities are welcome to participate in ongoing round robins, leagues, match play and clinics.
Lessons and clinics are led by Tom Lepisto and his team of top-rated Southwestern USTA instructors. Lepisto, who has been with the Tucson resort since 2004, was recently named the Professional Tennis Registry Member of the Year for the state of Arizona. PTR selects one member who has displayed the utmost in professionalism on and off the tennis court to be honored as State Member of the Year. Honorees are active in tennis in their communities and show dedication and service to PTR.
Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort & Spa’s junior development tennis program costs $30 monthly per person and includes:
- Unlimited court time after 11 a.m.
- Complimentary ball machine after 11 a.m.
- 20% discount on clinics and private lessons
- 15% discount on Pro Shop merchandise
- Free drop-in league play
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Venus leads U.S. Fed Cup team
- adidas shows creativity defines athletes
- Couchmans advised ITF on BNP Paribas renewal
- Longoria starts 2016 with a win
- PowerShares announces player fields
- Drysdale partners with Cincinnati TC
- Sinclair to acquire Tennis Channel
- Tennis CoachEd gets boosts
- USPTA extends NetKnacks partnership
- PlaySight partners with Tennis Media Company