Sharapova and Djokovic take ESPY awards
The 20th Annual ESPY Awards brought top athletes from various sports together on Wednesday night to honor those who shared in the best sports moments over the past year. HEAD stars Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic were each honored with an ESPY trophy.
Maria Sharapova, who plays with the YouTek™ IG Instinct MP, took the ESPY award for Best Female Tennis Player 2012. She was also nominated as one of the top contenders for Best Female Athlete and also for Best Comeback. Sharapova fought back from a shoulder injury and captured a career grand slam by winning the French Open this year. She also jumped back in the number one ranking spot for the first time since her injury and since playing with a HEAD frame.
Novak Djokovic, who plays with the YouTek™ IG Speed MP, took the ESPY award for Best Male Tennis Player 2012. He was also nominated as one of the top contenders for Best Male Athlete. Djokovic had an amazing 2011 season with a 70-6 record, 3 Grand Slam titles and 5 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles. He had what is arguably one of the best tennis seasons in the open era.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- USPTA HoF to induct Burwash
- Ashaway renews sponsorship of Swain
- Malaysia, Hong Kong dominate WUC Squash
- FISU WUC Badminton starts
- USTA partners in Laver Cup
- Hunt named CMO at Universal Tennis
- Hainline to receive achievement award
- PHIT grants gets kids active
- FISU World Championship starts
- New T-Fight from Tecnifibre