Sharapova and Djokovic take ESPY awards
The 20th Annual ESPY Awards brought top athletes from various sports together on Wednesday night to honor those who shared in the best sports moments over the past year. HEAD stars Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic were each honored with an ESPY trophy.
Maria Sharapova, who plays with the YouTek™ IG Instinct MP, took the ESPY award for Best Female Tennis Player 2012. She was also nominated as one of the top contenders for Best Female Athlete and also for Best Comeback. Sharapova fought back from a shoulder injury and captured a career grand slam by winning the French Open this year. She also jumped back in the number one ranking spot for the first time since her injury and since playing with a HEAD frame.
Novak Djokovic, who plays with the YouTek™ IG Speed MP, took the ESPY award for Best Male Tennis Player 2012. He was also nominated as one of the top contenders for Best Male Athlete. Djokovic had an amazing 2011 season with a 70-6 record, 3 Grand Slam titles and 5 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles. He had what is arguably one of the best tennis seasons in the open era.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- PTR to host Directors of Tennis Conference
- More TV time for DC's Citi Open than ever
- New Babolat Pure Aero
- Tennis Channel's summer season
- HEAD Penn players win at Pan Am Games
- Penn is the official ball of CIF
- Bringing tennis to children with 'Emirates Returns'
- Live coverage of Boston-Philadelphia WTT
- ASBA announces new tennis courts manual
- 2015 US Open Series launches in Atlanta