Lexi York Makes Racquetball History
Portland, OR — Last weekend more than 300 of the country’s top high school racquetball players headed to the Multnomah Athletic Club in Portland for the 2012 USA Racquetball National High School Championships. In the girls’ singles bracket, Team HEAD Penn’s Lexi York, playing with the HEAD YouTek™ Submission racquet, fought off players representing 30 high schools from across the country to win her first High School Girls’ Singles National Championship.
With her victory, York becomes the first freshman girl in the history of the high school racquetball to win a national singles title. York is a freshman at La Salle High School, the same Oregon school that produced three-time High School Boys’ Singles Champion, reigning College Men’s Singles Champion and fellow Team HEAD Penn player Taylor Knoth.
In the Girls’ Singles Championship Match, York defeated Krystle Boyle (Beaverton High School - Beaverton, Ore.), who also plays on the HEAD Penn team. While competing for different schools at the high school level, York and Boyle have teamed up as doubles partners to win the 2011 National Title in the 14 & Under Girls’ Doubles division. The duo went on to win the World Championship last fall in the Dominican Republic.
To follow the entire HEAD Penn team, visit facebook.com/headpennracquetball.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Fowler wins 2015 'Tennis Media Award'
- Drysdale Tennis launches foundation
- TV coverage of the clay-court season
- 'Try Tennis Free' campaign seeks growth
- Increase in hybrids driven by 'poly pain'
- USTA breaks ground in Lake Nona
- Team USA honors renowned coaches
- Blackman new GM, USTA Player Development
- Djokovic captures 5th Miami title
- Nominate an outstanding facility