Shabana starts 2012 with title
Summoning the sensational shotmaking he’s long been known for, Dunlop Tour Team member Amr Shabana won the prestigious ATCO PSA World Series Finals this weekend in stunning fashion, defeating fellow Dunlop Tour Team member Gregory Gaultier in the final.
The PSA event, which features the eight players who earned the most points from the nine PSA World Series championships in 2011, matched the world’s new number one player James Willstrop in one semifinal against Shabana. But the wily Egyptian veteran took out the Englishman in the modified scoring event 2-0 (13-11, 11-5) propelling him into the final.
There, the 32 year old Shabana put his Dunlop Biomimetic Ultimate racket to work delivering a thrilling 3-2 (6-11, 12-10, 11-7, 7-11, 11-8) 93 minute victory over Gaultier (who plays the Biomimetic Elite) at the famous Queen’s club in London.
In addition to Shabana and Gaultier, Dunlop Tour Team member Madeline Perry also reached the final in the women’s tournament. Perry plays the Biomimetic Evolution 120.
“At a tournament that pits only the best against one another, it’s no surprise a Dunlop Tour Team member walked away with the title,” said Steve Hall, Director of Marketing for Dunlop Indoor Sports. “As the world’s number one squash brand, we have tremendous depth on our Tour Team. Amr and Greg put on an incredible show in the final, both using their new Biomimetic rackets. 2012 has gotten off to a great start for us.”
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- adidas shows creativity defines athletes
- Couchmans advised ITF on BNP Paribas renewal
- PowerShares announces player fields
- Drysdale partners with Cincinnati TC
- Sinclair to acquire Tennis Channel
- Tennis CoachEd gets boosts
- USPTA extends NetKnacks partnership
- PlaySight partners with Tennis Media Company
- Kaiser named PTR Female Player of the Year
- The Playmate iSMASH ball machine