USTA Serves awards $1.5+ M in 2011
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — USTA Serves, the National Charitable Foundation of the United States Tennis Association, announced today that it has granted 41 community tennis and education organizations in the U.S. more than $400,000 in grants. Combined with scholarship awards, USTA Serves distributed more than $1.5 million in 2011.
The bi-annual grant process, a national initiative of USTA Serves, was developed to provide disadvantaged, at-risk children with the opportunity to learn to play tennis and improve their academic skills in a structured format, and to help combat childhood obesity by promoting healthy lifestyles. To date, USTA Serves has awarded more than $10 million to a variety of programs that share those aims.
“USTA Serves is thrilled to continue to support great organizations throughout the country who go above and beyond in their efforts to make a difference in the lives of America’s youth by using tennis as a vehicle for change,” says Mary Carillo, President, USTA Serves. “These organizations share our belief that tennis, combined with education, can have a lasting effect on the lives of children and help pave the way to a brighter future. It’s an honor to support such organizations, and we applaud them in their efforts.”
The grant recipients are chosen by a Grant Proposal Review Committee comprised of USTA Serves board members and USTA national staff, with important input from USTA sections. Grants are awarded to programs that successfully combine tennis and education and help children pursue their goals and highest dreams by leading healthier lives, succeeding in school and becoming healthier citizens.
The following programs were awarded 2011 year-end grants by USTA Serves:
- Academy Cares - Boys & Girls Club Newark, Chatham, N.J.
- Adaptive Athletics Association, Mountain Center, Calif.
- Battlefield Community Tennis Association, Jackson, Miss.
- Break the Barriers, Inc., Fresno, Calif.
- City Parks Foundation, New York, N.Y.
- Crosscourt Tennis, Nashville, Tenn.
- Dade County Sports Foundation, Miami, Fla.
- Down the Line and Beyond Foundation, Villanova, Penn.
- First Serve Santa Ana, Santa Ana, Calif.
- Hamilton County Community Tennis Association, Carmel, Ind.
- Harper for Kids, San Francisco
- Hawaii Tennis Council, Kailua-Kona, HI.
- Heart of Variety Fund, Philadelphia, Penn.
- HERO, Inc., Purchase, N.Y.
- Houston Tennis Association, Houston, Tex.
- Hui Kako O Kenika, Hilo, HI
- I Have a Dream Foundation of Boulder County, Boulder, Colo.
- InnerCity Tennis Foundation, Minneapolis, Minn.
- International Rescue Committee, Inc., San Diego, Calif.
- Kids and Police Tennis Association, West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Latin American Youth Center, Inc., Washington, D.C.
- Love to Serve, Inc., Chicago, Ill.
- MACH Academy, Inc., Augusta, Ga.
- New Haven Youth Tennis & Education, New Haven, Conn.
- Our Military Kids Inc., McLean, Va.
- Pikes Peak Community Tennis Association, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Portland After-School Tennis & Education, Inc., Portland, Ore.
- Project Lovematch, Inc., Saddle River, N.J.
- Rodney Street Tennis & Tutoring Association, Wilmington, Del.
- Set Point Tennis Organization, Reading, Penn.
- Shinnecock Indian Education, South Hampton, N.Y.
- Special Olympics Alaska, Anchorage, Alanska
- SportAbility of Iowa, Solon, Iowa
- Sportsmen’s Tennis Club, Dorchester, Mass.
- Tennis for Charity, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio
- United Neighbors, Inc., Davenport, Iowa
- University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- Wright State Foundation, Kettering, Ohio
- YMCA of Greater Kansas City, Kansas City, Mo.
- YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta, Atlanta, Ga.
- Zina Garrison All Court Tennis Academy, Houston, Tex.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Better tennis through science
- USPTA partners with TrueCar
- PTR Instructing Wheelchair Tennis Workshop
- Ashaway offers new bulk reels
- Pro introduces children to the magic of tennis
- USTA honors 12 outstanding facilities
- TGA launches first franchise in Oregon
- Orr joins HEAD Penn team
- Longacre named acting head pro
- Tennis Channel to cover US Open Series