Vickery, Rubin Capture Year’s First Singles Titles
Sachia Vickery of Miramar, Fla., and Noah Rubin of Rockville Centre, N.Y., started 2012 in fine fashion on Sunday, capturing the year’s first singles titles on the ITF World Junior Circuit, winning all-American finals at the prestigious 48th Copa Del Café in San Jose, Costa Rica.
The 16-year-old Vickery, was seeded No. 5 and did not drop a single set en route to the final, where she beat No. 3 seed Christina Makarova of San Diego 7-5, 6-1. Vickery was coming off a semifinals appearance at the 2011 Orange Bowl in Plantation, Fla., in December.
The unseeded Rubin, 15, upset the No. 2 seed in the first round and the No. 4 seed in the semifinals before beating No. 5 seed Connor Farren of Hillsborough, Calif., 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, in the final. The win is Rubin’s first in ITF competition; he also won the boys’ 16s title at the 2011 USTA International Spring Championships.
The victories propel both Vickery and Rubin to career-high rankings on the ITF World Junior Circuit; Vickery moves up to No. 31, while Rubin jumps 60 spots to No. 41.
The last American to win at the Grade 1 hard court event was Madison Keys in 2009. Keys will make her Australian Open debut next week after winning a USTA Playoff in December to earn a main draw wild card.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Roddick wins 7th title in Richmond
- PTR welcomes two corporate members
- VA and USTA Foundation form partnership
- All HEAD Penn ladies racquetball final again
- Djokovic wins 3 Masters 1000 titles in a row
- ITF designates PTR Wheelchair Championships
- Roddick breaks Sampras record in Dallas
- Roddick ties Sampras record in Little Rock
- Roddick wins title in Austin
- Thelma Coyne Long has passed away