Facilities honored for excellence
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — The USTA announced today the nine winners of its 30th annual USTA Facility Awards Program, which recognizes excellence in the construction and/or renovation of tennis facilities throughout the country. Each facility was honored at the USTA Semiannual meeting during the meeting of the Technical Committee on September 4 at the Grand Hyatt in New York City.
Award-winning facilities must be under the jurisdiction of a parks and recreation department, an educational institution, a non-profit corporation, or private and commercially owned and operated facilities that offer both USTA and public programming designed to help grow tennis. Facilities were judged upon the following criteria: overall layout and adaptation to site; excellence of court surface and lights; ease of maintenance; accommodations for players, spectators and press/officials; aesthetics; graphics (including the use of signs and landscaping); amenities such as casual seating for spectators, food services and social areas; and the facilities’ participation in USTA programs.
Nominated facilities were voted upon in the following categories: Public Courts that are either small tennis centers with 2-10 courts or large tennis centers with 11 or more courts; Educational Institutions; and Private Facilities that support the USTA and other “growth of the game” programs open to the public.
“These facilities do a tremendous job at providing tennis to the communities they serve,” said Kurt Kamperman, Chief Executive, Community Tennis, USTA. “We are proud to honor them for their commitment to growing the game of tennis, and building a foundation for people to continue to play the sport that they love.”
All 2011 award winners will receive a wall plaque and an all-weather sign, which can be mounted at the facility. Certificates of award will be made available to park and recreation departments, schools, and those professionals responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of the facility. In addition, a one-year complimentary USTA membership will be awarded to each winning facility.
The 2011 USTA Facility Awards Program winners are:
Public Courts: Small Tennis Centers (2-10 courts)
- Lone Tree Park & Tennis Center — Littleton, Colo.
- Kiest Park — Dallas, Texas
Public Courts: Large Tennis Centers (11 or more courts)
- Wagon Wheel Tennis Center — Coppell, Texas
- The Tennis Center At Steamboat Springs — Steamboat Springs, Colo.
- South Lake Tennis Center — South Lake, Texas
- Jonesville Tennis Center — Gainesville, Fla.
*Jaime Kaplan Tennis Center — Macon, Ga.
- River Hills Club — Jackson, Miss.
- Centercourt Athletic Club — Chatham, N.J.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Lloyd named coach of San Diego Aviators
- HEAD is new official stringing team at BNPPO
- PTR names Private Facility of the Year
- Djokovic interview in WSJ. Magazine
- BNP Paribas Showdown names official charity
- Longoria strengthens hold on top ranking
- Draws announced for PowerShares events
- Maui Jim partners with ATP
- Osei named PTR Volunteer of the Year
- Adams receives PTR/USTA award