Kvitova captures Wimbledon title
[CHICAGO] — Playing with her Wilson Tour BLX tennis racquet, Petra Kvitova proved that she was the Wimbledon champion against Maria Sharapova.
Known as a heavy hitter, Kvitova used her big serve to take the title in 2 sets. Kvitova kept Sharapova running with 18 winners and broke her serve in the opening game of the second set. Kvitova was simply relentless as she took the final point of the championship match with a definitive ace and won 6-3, 6-4.
Kvitova started 2011 by winning her second career title at the 2011 Brisbane International. She went on to the 2011 Australian Open where she made it to the quarterfinals before losing to world #2 Zvonareva in the quarterfinals. Kvitova maintained her strong performance in Paris, winning her second title of the year by defeating newly crowned World No.1 and 2011 Australian Open champion, Kim Clijsters. In the 2011 French Open, she cruised to the fourth round before falling to eventual champion Li Na. Kvitova’s strong run ensures her career high ranking of world #8.
“It’s an incredible feeling to win my first Grand Slam title,” Kvitova said after winning the final match. “It’s been a great year and even better knowing I have Wilson’s support.”
Kvitova’s first Grand Slam title is an amazing step to becoming a top tennis player in the world. Wilson looks forward to following Kvitova’s tremendous success and will continue to bring her all the support and technology she needs to enhance her game.
Track Wilson Tennis on Twitter and Facebook.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Roddick wins 7th title in Richmond
- PTR welcomes two corporate members
- VA and USTA Foundation form partnership
- All HEAD Penn ladies racquetball final again
- Djokovic wins 3 Masters 1000 titles in a row
- ITF designates PTR Wheelchair Championships
- Roddick breaks Sampras record in Dallas
- Roddick ties Sampras record in Little Rock
- Roddick wins title in Austin
- Thelma Coyne Long has passed away