McEnroe, Bryans Headline Esurance Tennis Classic
MILL VALLEY, Calif. — The Esurance Tennis Classic today announced an all-star line-up for this year’s event, including John McEnroe, Bob and Mike Bryan, Gigi Fernandez, Tracy Austin and Murphy Jensen.
Held Sept. 24-25 at Mill Valley’s Harbor Point Tennis Club, the Esurance Tennis Classic will again benefit the Celebrate Life Breast Cancer Foundation and Youth Tennis Advantage. The event has raised more than $700,000 for charities since 2004.
Ticket sales for the 2011 Esurance Tennis Classic begin July 1. For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit www.tennisclassic.org or call 415.383.6114.
This year’s event will host 17-time Grand Slam winner John McEnroe, who continues to cover the court both on and off as a Grand Slam tournament commentator for the Tennis Channel and NBC. McEnroe’s connection to the Bay Area stems from his Stanford University days, when he played for long-time Stanford men’s tennis coach and friend Dick Gould.
Gould will be the 2011 “Classic” award honoree at the Esurance Tennis Classic’s dinner gala. The award distinguishes those who have been exceptional in the field of tennis and made lifetime contributions to the sport. Gould coached the Stanford men’s tennis team for 39 years, and continues to work tirelessly for Stanford tennis as the John L. Hinds Director of Tennis.
Former Stanford men’s tennis stars and identical twins Bob and Mike Bryan will also participate in this year’s event. Currently the world’s No. 1 men’s doubles team, the Bryan brothers continue to make tennis history with their exceptional doubles talent and energy, amplified by their signature chest bumping and fist pumping during matches. The Bryans hold a record 72 ATP World Tour Tournament wins and bring a unique style of play and prestige to contemporary men’s doubles tennis.
Joining McEnroe and the Bryan brothers at this year’s event are:
- 17-time Grand Slam doubles winner and 2010 International Tennis Hall of Fame inductee Gigi Fernandez
- Two-time U.S. Open winner Tracy Austin
- French Open doubles winner Murphy Jensen
- The Stanford men’s tennis team, which joins the women’s team for the first time to compete in the World Team Tennis Shoot-Out at the event
The Esurance Tennis Classic is presented by LRG Capital Real Estate and is produced by Hall of Famer and San Francisco native Rosie Casals, in conjunction with the Harbor Point Charitable Foundation’s COO Bob Kaliski, owner of the Harbor Point Tennis Club. Esurance has been title sponsor of the event since 2007 and is firmly committed to helping the event serve up a winning combination of tennis and philanthropy to Bay Area tennis enthusiasts.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- ASBA honors distinguished sports facilities
- Viking announces new GM
- Dunlop to distribute Diadora footwear
- Babolat launches new Origin string
- Davis Cup tickets to go on sale Dec. 6th
- ASBA releases informative video
- Tennis Channel to rebroadcast French Open
- SGI, PHIT America announce 'Challenge'
- NYJTL honors Tennis Channel and Solomon
- Mylan WTT relocates; Roddick to star on team