Tennis Across America celebrates 22 years
USPTA members across the nation have stepped up to the One-Clinic Challenge throughout the month of May and specifically on Tennis Across America Day on May 14, by hosting free tennis clinics. While the goal of Tennis Across America has always been to take the game of tennis to new, current and former players, this year the focus is on promoting the health benefits of tennis to help support efforts to reduce obesity.
The USPTA is encouraging every member to run at least one Tennis Across America event to help spread the word that obesity is now an epidemic, especially with today’s youth devoting more time to computers and other technology than to exercise. In addition, it provides the opportunity to focus on the long-range health benefits of developing a habit of being active through tennis from early childhood.
This year Tennis Across America is supported by several honorary co-chairs and health and fitness industry partners. Honorary co-chairs confirmed for this year include former President George H.W. Bush; TV analysts Cliff Drysdale and Patrick McEnroe; former touring professionals Todd Martin, Emilio Sanchez Vicario and Tony Trabert; Pam Shriver, TV analyst and former touring professional; world-renowned tennis coach and Master Professional Rick Macci; and author, speaker and Master Professional Peter Burwash.
Also, many companies in the health and fitness arena that are leading the charge in shaping a healthy America and battling the national obesity epidemic — specifically, childhood obesity — support USPTA’s efforts, including:
- The American College of Sports Medicine — Exercise is Medicine Initiative
- International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association — Campaign for a Healthier America
- The National Physical Activity Plan
- Mental Health America — Live Your Life Well Initiative
- Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation
Since May is also National Physical Fitness Month and Mental Health Month, it is truly a national platform for health and fitness and one supported by all the companies listed above. They clearly see the potential impact that pairing Tennis Across America with Tennis - for the health of it! can have on helping to turn this health crisis around.
To find a TAA clinic in your area or tools and resources on ideas for your TAA events, visit uspta.com.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- PTR and iTPA announce global partnership
- 8th FISU World University Squash Championship
- Isner joins forces with RAPIDFORCE
- Dover Squash & Fitness partners with MIT
- Pasarell named by ITHF
- Tennis Channel to highlight Ashe
- USPTA recognizes industry leaders
- Gamma hires Merritt
- ITHF presents Racquets & Fashion
- PTR reaches 15,000 member mark