Ryan Harrison to Compete in Newport
Newport, R.I. — Eighteen-year old Louisiana native Ryan Harrison, whose outstanding performances in the past year have consistently caused a buzz among tennis fans, tennis media and, of course, his opponents, will compete in the Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships in Newport, R.I., July 4 - 10, 2011.
This week, Harrison overcame another rising star, Canadian Milos Raonic, 20, in an intense three-set match that could be an early indicator of the next great tennis rivalry, to advance to the fourth round at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells. Harrison, who was a wild card entry at the tournament, faced Roger Federer in the Fourth Round and took the world No. 2 player to a tie-break in the first set, before Federer claimed victory, 7-6(4), 6-3. Following his success at Indian Wells, it is anticipated that Harrison’s South African Airways ATP World Tour Ranking will jump from No. 152 to near 130.
“As a wild card in Newport last year, Ryan advanced to the quarterfinals and he has consistently posted some outstanding results since then,” said Mark L. Stenning, tournament director of the Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships. “Ryan is definitely a player on the move and one to watch. We know our fans will enjoy seeing him compete and we look forward to welcoming him back to Newport again this summer.”
This year will be Harrison’s second appearance in Newport, where he advanced to the quarterfinals last year - his best ATP World Tour result to date at the time. Since that appearance, Harrison has recorded significant victories, including defeating then No. 17 Ivan Ljubicic in the first round of the 2010 US Open. Harrison has gotten off to a strong start in 2011, as well. Earlier in the year, he captured both the singles and doubles titles at the Honolulu Challenger. Prior to falling to Federer at Indian Wells, Harrison defeated No. 49 Jeremy Chardy, No. 25 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, and No. 37 Raonic.
The Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships will be played July 4 - 10, 2011. The tournament, which immediately follows Wimbledon, draws 32 top ATP World Tour players and is hosted on the historic grass courts of the International Tennis Hall of Fame. It is the only grass court pro tournament in North America and the only men’s ATP World Tour event in the Northeast. Tickets for tournament are on sale now. Members of the International Tennis Hall of Fame save 30% on all tickets for Monday - Thursday sessions. To purchase tickets or learn more about the tournament or Hall of Fame membership, visit tennisfame.com or call 401-849-6053 or 866-914-FAME (3263).
A highlight of the Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships will be the International Tennis Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, which will be held on Saturday, July 9 at 12:00 p.m., prior to the tournament’s semifinal matches. The one and only Andre Agassi, former world No. 1, eight-time grand slam champion, and one of the most revered athletes in history is the sole inductee in the Recent Player Category. In the Contributor Category, Peachy Kellmeyer, who was the very first employee and director of the WTA in 1973 and still serves the organization today, will be inducted for her immense contributions in the development of women’s tennis. Additionally, a variety of special events including Family Weekend, free tennis lessons, and the Angela Moore Fashion Show will complement another exciting week of ATP World Tour tennis.
For additional information, please call the Tournament Office at 401-849-6053 or 866-914-FAME (3263) or visit www.tennisfame.com.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Istomin wins first ATP title
- WTT poised for growth, says BJK
- Hingis named Global Ambassador for ITHF
- MonoGut ZX Black offers versatility and playability
- USTA to host fifth annual job fair
- Blake to coach Aviators for opener
- El Shorbagy, World Number 1
- Tennis Channel launches Racquet Bracket
- Record ratings for Tennis Channel
- Peggy Edwards receives 2015 APEX Award