Dent Retiring from Professional Tennis
Taylor Dent, who reached a career high ranking of #21 in the world during his twelve year tennis career, will retire from professional tennis at the age of 29. Having returned to the tour after three back-surgeries that nearly ended his playing career in 2006, Taylor is ready to take on an active role in the tennis world now his playing days are over:
“I had the privilege to compete at the highest level for 12 year, see places in the world I would have never been able to see without tennis, and meet people along the way that have become lifelong friends. I am looking forward to spending more time with my family, especially with my wife Jenny and our son Declan. I want to continue to stay active in the tennis industry and I am excited to explore opportunities in the world of tennis that my full tournament schedule never allowed me to do.”
Please find below some of Taylor’s career highlights:
- Turned professional in 1998
- Coached by his father Phil throughout his early years on the ATP Tour
- Won his first ATP Title in Newport in 2002 (defeating James Blake)
- In 2003, won three ATP titles in Memphis (def. Roddick), Bangkok (def. Ferrero), and Moscow (def. Sargsian).
- Made history by becoming the first father (Phil) and son duo to win and ATP title in the Open Era (since 1968)
- In 2004, lost the Bronze medal match at the Athens Olympics to Fernando Gonzales
- In 2006 and 2007, underwent three back-surgeries that kept him off the ATP tour for two and a half years
- Climbed back into the top 100 in 2009, along the way receiving a large amount of attention on his comeback since his back surgeries.
- Member of the USA Davis Cup Team in 2003 (vs. Croatia)
- Reached a career high ranking of #21 (August 2005)
- Married former WTA professional Jennifer Hopkins on Dec. 8, 2006.
- Son Declan was born on Jan. 26, 2010
- Cousin Misty May won the gold medal in both the Athens and Beijing Olympics for the USA Volleyball team.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Babolat presents connected tennis
- adidas Roland Garros Collection by Y-3
- CopperWynd announces new Director of Tennis
- ITA secures partnership with Oracle
- Ashaway introduces ZyMax 62 Fire
- Tecnifibre launches ‘Young Guns’ contest
- More facilities offer 'Try Tennis Free'
- Tennis Channel adds two new shows
- Pros attend Cardio Tennis Trainer Summit
- PlayTennis.com gets key upgrades