Badminton Championship Opens in Taipei City
TAIPEI CITY — Today, September 7th, the 11th edition of the biennial FISU World University Badminton Championship opened at 2 pm in Taipei City, the capital of Chinese Taipei.
Quite a number of the country’s authorities were present at the Opening Ceremony of the championship. The Deputy Secretary-General of the city Yong-Jan Chen and the Minister of Sports Affairs Council Ms Hsia-Ling Tai both gave a hearty welcome speech. After her welcome speech, FISU Assessor Mrs Alison Odell gave the floor to the Ovid J.L. Tseng, the Minister without Portfolio who officially opened the WUC.
The TPE player Shao-Chieh Cheng took the oath for the athletes as the TPE referee Pan-Hsien Kuo did the same for the umpires and referees.
At the end of the ceremony, the host presented the cheerleading squad and an amazing lion dance, the traditional cultural performance, to the guests.
After the official part of the Opening Ceremony the FISU representatives had an opportunity to have a short meeting with their distinguished hosts. During the meeting Mrs Alison Odell awarded the Deputy Secretary-General of Taipei City Yong-Jan Chen and the Minister of Sports Affairs Council Hsia-Ling Tai as well as the deputy of the Minister of Education Tsai-Sun Wu with the FISU commemorative medals.
The WUC can be followed via the website of the OC at http://2010wubac.ctusf.org.tw/ and at fisu.net.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Head extends partnership with Stephens
- Tennis Channel adds on-air talent
- PTR on board with Coach Youth Tennis
- Agassi, Sampras, and Lendl honored
- Babolat: The legendary experience of the Majors
- Esguerra named PTR WI Member of the Year
- Burke named PTR GA Member of the Year
- Pugh receives PTR USTA Community Service Award
- Blouin named PTR Int'l Master Professional
- Godreau named PTR MS Member of the Year