USTA Awards Grants to 26 Organizations
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — USTA Serves, the philanthropic and charitable entity of the United States Tennis Association, announced today that it has awarded 26 grants in its 2010 spring funding cycle, totaling $301,000.
The bi-annual granting process, a national initiative of USTA Serves, was developed to provide disadvantaged, at-risk children the opportunity to learn to play tennis and improve their academic skills in a structured format, and to help combat childhood obesity by promoting healthy lifestyles. To date, USTA Serves has disbursed $10 million to a variety of programs that share those aims.
At funded program sites, children between the ages of 5-18 learn about healthy nutrition and lifestyles, responsible citizenship, study skills, and computer literacy. The grants, chosen by a Grant Proposal Review Committee comprised of Foundation board members and USTA national staff, with important input from USTA sections, are awarded to programs that successfully combine tennis and education and help children pursue their goals and highest dreams by leading healthier lives, succeeding in school and becoming healthier citizens.
“USTA Serves is excited to continue investing financial and other resources to help support organizations that believe in the powerful combination of tennis and education to help change lives. We applaud the expertise, commitment and passion for tennis and education that these organizations have shown to the children and people with disabilities whom they serve,” said Deborah Slaner Larkin, Executive Director, USTA Serves. “Our goal is to support as many programs as possible and we look forward to our next grant cycle when we’ll hear from even more programs.”
The following programs were awarded 2010 spring grants by USTA Serves:
- Arthur Ashe Youth Tennis and Education Inc., Philadelphia
- Atlanta Community Tennis Foundation Inc., Atlanta
- Black Women in Sport Foundation, Philadelphia
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Peoria, Peoria, Ill.
- Capital Region Youth Tennis Foundation, Inc., Albany, N.Y.
- First Serve - New Mexico, Inc., Santa Fe, N.M.
- Flagstaff Community NJTL, Sedona, Ariz.
- Greater Baltimore Tennis Patrons Assoc., Inc., Baltimore
- Innercity Tennis Foundation, Minneapolis
- Jewish Council for Youth Services, Chicago
- Katie At The Bat, Narberth, Pa.
- King Street Center, Burlington, Vt.
- MaliVai Washington Kids Foundation, Jacksonville, Fla.
- Milwaukee Tennis & Education Foundation, Inc., Milwaukee
- Net Results Junior Tennis, Denver
- NJTL of Indianapolis, Indianapolis
- NJTL of Trenton, Trenton, N.J.
- Prince Georges Tennis And Education Foundation Inc., Upper Marlboro, Md.
- Puerto Rico Agricultural Extension Service, San Juan, P.R.
- Richmond Recreation and Parks Foundation, Richmond, Va.
- St. Paul Urban Tennis, St. Paul, Minn.
- Tenacity, Boston
- Tennis Opportunity Program, Inc., Chicago
- Urban Leadership Development Group, Amissville, Va.
- Washington Tennis & Education Foundation, Washington, D.C.
- Youth at Heart, Inc., Tulsa, Okla.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Anne Krupp Memorial Scholarship
- Kudla takes 'Young Guns Contest'
- ATP renews agreement with Tennis Channel
- Edberg honored with Hall of Fame Ring
- TGA launches Minneapolis franchise
- Wilson launches Ultra racquet
- Pala receives Fed Cup Award
- Murray launches new Radicals
- Czechs to take on Russia in Fed Cup
- Live season-ending championships