U.S. Davis Cup Team Update
The 2010 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Playoff draw was conducted earlier today and the U.S. drew an away tie in Colombia that will be played from September 17 - 19. The U.S. needs to defeat Colombia to retain its position within the 2011 World Group. The loser of the U.S./Colombia tie will be relegated to the Americas Zone I for 2011 and not be able to win the Davis Cup title next year.
This is the first time since 2005 that the U.S. has had to play in the World Group Playoffs. The U.S. is 5-1 previously in this round and has only been out of the World Group one time in the 30 years since the current format was adopted.
The U.S. is 1-1 against Colombia, having won their last meeting - the 1979 North/Central America Zone Final in Cleveland.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- New director, name, and logo for Memphis Open
- All Head Penn final at UHC US Open
- ESPN3 to air USTA Clay Court Invitational
- Carson wins 19th pro tournament
- Bollettieri visits Manchester Memorial
- Murray close to ATP finals
- Hat-trick for Berdych, Cilic, and Murray
- ASBA announces 2014 Technical Meeting
- Ashaway sponsors Swain
- Tavistock Development welcomes new executives