USTA Serves grants nearly $1 million
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — USTA Serves — Foundation for Academics. Character. Excellence., the philanthropic and charitable entity of the USTA, announced today that under its “Aces for Kids” umbrella, it has awarded 24 year-end grants, for a total of $297,325. The number of program grants awarded in 2009 was 37, for a total amount of $549,325. Combined with scholarship awards, USTA Serves distributed nearly $1 million in 2009.
USTA Serves awards grants to programs that successfully combine tennis and education and help children pursue their goals and highest dreams by succeeding in school and becoming responsible citizens.
Aces for Kids is a national initiative of USTA Serves. It strives to promote healthy lifestyles by combating childhood/adult obesity by providing disadvantaged, at-risk children the opportunity to learn to play tennis and improve their academic skills in a structured format. At Aces for Kids program sites, children between the ages of 5-18 learn about healthy nutrition and lifestyles, responsible citizenship, study skills, and computer literacy; interact with a mentor and other students; attend college preparatory sessions; and learn to play tennis in a team format.
“These programs are impacting the future of thousands of children, helping them to develop a healthy mentality and vital life skills that they will carry into adulthood,” said Karen Martin-Eliezer, Chief Executive, USTA Serves. “We are grateful for the generous support of the many corporations and individual donors that empower USTA Serves to distribute these life-changing funds.”
The 2009 year-end grants recipients:
- Abundant Waters, New York, N.Y.
- A’s & Aces, New Orleans, La.
- Boys & Girls Club of Central Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
- CHAMPS Afterschool Enrichment Program, Erie, Pa.
- City Parks Foundation, New York, N.Y.
- Earthen Vessels Outreach, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Family and Children’s Association, Mineola, N.Y.
- Hamilton County Community Tennis Association, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Harlem Junior Tennis & Education Program, New York, N.Y.
- Harper for Kids, San Francisco, Calif.
- Hebni Nutrition Consultants, Inc., Orlando, Fla.
- Houston Tennis Association Inc./NJTL, Houston, Texas
- I Have a Dream Foundation of Boulder County, Boulder, Colo.
- Indianola Main Street Association, Indianola, Miss.
- Mentoring USA Inc., New York, N.Y.
- Norwalk Grassroots Tennis, Inc., Norwalk, Conn.
- Ossining Community Tennis Association Inc., Ossining, N.Y.
- Project Lovematch Inc., Saddle River, N.J.
- Sportsmen’s Tennis Club Inc., Dorchester, Mass.
- Tennis in the ‘Hood Inc., Fayetteville, Ga.
- The Orthotic & Prosthetic Assistance Fund, Inc., Langhorne, Pa.
- United Neighbors, Inc., Davenport, Iowa
- University of Akron, Dept. of Sport Science & Wellness, Akron, Ohio
- University of Hawaii’s Ace to Success, Honolulu, Hawaii
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Viking announces new GM
- Dunlop to distribute Diadora footwear
- Babolat launches new Origin string
- Davis Cup tickets to go on sale Dec. 6th
- ASBA releases informative video
- Tennis Channel to rebroadcast French Open
- SGI, PHIT America announce 'Challenge'
- NYJTL honors Tennis Channel and Solomon
- Mylan WTT relocates; Roddick to star on team
- TGA Premier Youth Tennis launches 22nd franchise