Harrison qualifies for Delray Beach
Ryan Harrison, 17, qualified for his second consecutive main draw of an ATP event in Delray Beach after defeating Izak van der Merwe of South Africa 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(2). He also qualified the week before at the Region Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis before losing to eventual finalist John Isner in the first round of the main draw. He will face Ernests Gulbis of Latvia in the first round of the main draw in Delray Beach tomorrow. Harrison also moved into the Quarterfinals of doubles in Delray Beach with Taylor Dent after defeating the British team of Colin Fleming and Ken Skupski, 7-6(5), 6-4.
From the Sun Sentinel:
- Harrison, 17, actually turned down a wild card because the Louisiana native wants to get in on his own merit.
- “Wild cards are gifts. You didn’t earn your way in,” said Harrison, who trains at Bollettieri’s in Bradenton. “It could be helpful at times but for me right now it’s important for me to play matches. I’m confident I could make it through qualies.”
Gillette World Sport also recently featured Harrison in an interview (blog.imgacademies.com/2010/03/02/ryan-harrison-featured-on-gillette-world-sport) at the IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- New director, name, and logo for Memphis Open
- All Head Penn final at UHC US Open
- ESPN3 to air USTA Clay Court Invitational
- Carson wins 19th pro tournament
- Bollettieri visits Manchester Memorial
- Murray close to ATP finals
- Hat-trick for Berdych, Cilic, and Murray
- ASBA announces 2014 Technical Meeting
- Ashaway sponsors Swain
- Tavistock Development welcomes new executives