WISPA Goes Gold In Chennai
In an exciting Asian development for the WISPA World Tour, the Women’s Chennai Open has been upgraded in its second year to WISPA Gold level.
The $53,500 championship will be played at the Indian Squash Academy, under the auspices of the Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI), from 2-7 March.
With the Indian capital of Delhi hosting the Asian Squash Championships in April, followed by the Commonwealth Games in October as well as several other squash Tour events, the country will become a regular stop for a number of players this year.
Welcoming the event, WISPA Chief Executive Andrew Shelley said: “It is great for our Tour that we are able to take the lead in this SRFI initiative. And with the Gold level CIMB KL Open in Malaysia later in March this Asian event cluster will be the centrepiece of a month to relish on our growing Tour.
“The Chennai Open is sure to receive a top drawer entry, and indeed world number one Nicol David, from Malaysia, is already a confirmed entry,” added Shelley.
The WISPA event leads a festival that also features a $25,000 PSA event and will be immediately followed by the Chennai Open Doubles from 8-11 March, boasting a $15,000 prize fund.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- New Babolat Pure Aero
- Tennis Channel's summer season
- HEAD Penn players win at Pan Am Games
- Penn is the official ball of CIF
- Bringing tennis to children with 'Emirates Returns'
- Live coverage of Boston-Philadelphia WTT
- ASBA announces new tennis courts manual
- 2015 US Open Series launches in Atlanta
- Expanded US Open Series coverage crosses platforms
- Stars headline WTT event