USPTA Member Montenegro Celebrates 100th Birthday
Walter Montenegro, the oldest current member of the United States Professional Tennis Association, turns 100 on August 25. Montenegro, who is a Professional 1 member, joined the association in 1940 when it was called the Professional Lawn Tennis Association, giving him the third longest membership in the USPTA, behind Don Marz and Frank Kenney.
Born Aug. 25, 1909, he is a native of San Jose, Costa Rica, who immigrated to the United States during the Great Depression. He had earned a degree in accounting from the University of Buenos Aires, and came to the United States in his early 20s.
He served as vice president of the association and helped found and manage the Manufacturers Division of the PLTA. Montenegro stayed active in the association long after he retired from the industry, attending conventions, and kept his passion for playing tennis.
Montenegro’s birthday celebration is set for Aug. 15. His family has asked the racquet-sports community to send cards, letters and e-mails to help celebrate his 100th birthday. Cards or letters may be sent to Walter Montenegro, c/o Barbara Montenegro, 7 Tall Pines Drive, Neptune, NJ 07753 or e-mail Bob Montenegro at email@example.com
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Roddick wins 7th title in Richmond
- PTR welcomes two corporate members
- VA and USTA Foundation form partnership
- All HEAD Penn ladies racquetball final again
- Djokovic wins 3 Masters 1000 titles in a row
- ITF designates PTR Wheelchair Championships
- Roddick breaks Sampras record in Dallas
- Roddick ties Sampras record in Little Rock
- Roddick wins title in Austin
- Thelma Coyne Long has passed away