Hernandez and McCollom win singles titles
Hector Hernandez of Easton, Pa., won the men’s open title after defeating H’Cone Thompson of Washington, D.C., 6-7, 6-2, 11-9, at the $5,000 United States Professional Tennis Association Grass Court Championships Sunday at the Philadelphia Cricket Club in Philadelphia. Marina McCollom of West Des Moines, Iowa, captured the women’s open title by defeating Shareen Lai of Morrisville, Pa., 6-4, 6-1.
The tournament, which was held from Aug. 21-23, also included men’s 45 singles and doubles events. The competition featured many of the top men and women tennis-teaching professionals in the country.
The national tournaments are open to Professional-level members in good standing. For additional information, please contact the USPTA at 800-USPTA-4U. USPTA- certified professionals may log in to the “members only” section of the USPTA Web site at www.uspta.com for more information.
Below is a complete list of results from final-round matches: Men’s Open Singles Hector Hernandez, Easton, Pa., def. H’Cone Thompson, Washington, D.C., 6-7, 6-2, 11-9.
Women’s Open Singles Marina McCollom, West Des Moines, Iowa, def. Shareen Lai, Morrisville, Pa., 6-4, 6-1.
Men’s 45 Singles Patrick Serret, Alexandria, La., def. Vallis Wilder, Fort Worth, Texas, 6-1, 6-4.
Men’s 45 Doubles Geoffrey Martinez, San Rafael, Calif., and Vallis Wilder, Fort Worth, Texas, def. R. Terry Burchett, Norcross, Ga., and Patrick Serret, Alexandria, La., Def (ns).
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Public Tennis grants wheelchair scholarships
- USTA forges medical partnership
- TIA partners with Sports Club Advisors
- Ashaway ZyMax Fire sparks global appeal
- Selmi honored by ITHF and ITF
- Comprehensive RG coverage from Tennis Channel
- Young Guns Contest Season 2
- Murray celebrates birthday with masters title
- Serena's major wins to be aired back-to-back
- Celebrate Int’l. Coaches Week