ITHF Honors Brown-Grimes and Reese
NEWPORT, RI — International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum Chairman Christopher E. Clouser has announced that Jane Brown-Grimes and John Reese are the 2009 recipients of the prestigious Chairman’s Award. The Chairman’s Award recognizes outstanding service by a Hall of Fame Board Member.
“We owe Jane Brown-Grimes a debt of gratitude for what she accomplished for the Tennis Hall of Fame the last 32 years, and for her on-going leadership and support,” said Clouser.
After an early career as a reporter/researcher for LIFE magazine, Brown-Grimes has spent the past 29 years involved with the sport of tennis. She opened the New York office of the International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum in 1977 and became the Hall of Fame’s Executive Director in 1981, serving as the Tournament Director for both ATP and WTA Tour events during that time. Brown-Grimes served with the International Tennis Hall of Fame until 1986, when she became the Managing Director of the Women’s Tennis Council and presided over an unprecedented period of growth in women’s professional tennis. Brown-Grimes returned to the Hall of Fame as the organization’s President and Chief Executive Officer in 1991 and served until 2000, during which time she oversaw a major reconstruction of the historic buildings and grounds of the Hall of Fame’s headquarters in Newport, Rhode Island. She currently serves the Hall of Fame as President Emerita.
John Reese received a B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania and a M.B.A. from the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce. While serving as Director and Chief Executive Officer of Wood, Stuthers & Winthrop Management Corporation he joined the Board of Directors of the International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum in 1983. In 1985, Reese joined his current employer Lazard Frères & Co. L.L.C. as a Limited Managing Director and would soon become the Executive Vice President of the Hall of Fame Board of Directors. Reese would continue to serve on the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors for the International Tennis Hall of Fame in various positions ranging from President and Chief Executive Officer (1991 - 1992), Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (1993 - 1994), Chairman (1995 - 1999), Chairman of the Executive Committee (2000 - 2001), and has remained as a member since 2005. Additionally, while serving as Chairman in 1998, Reese was inducted into the United States Tennis Association Eastern Tennis Hall of Fame. He has remained involved with the USTA as a member of their Investment Committee.
“John’s ongoing service and generous support of the International Tennis Hall of Fame are greatly appreciated,” said Clouser. “Throughout the years, his loyalty has been key to our efforts to preserve the past and inspire the future of tennis.”
The International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum was established in 1954 and is a non-profit institution dedicated to preserving the history of tennis, inspiring and encouraging junior tennis development, enshrining tennis heroes and heroines, and providing a landmark for tennis enthusiasts worldwide. For more information on the International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum, its awards and programs, please call 401-849-3990 or visit the International Tennis Hall of Fame’s official website at www.tennisfame.com.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Roddick wins 7th title in Richmond
- PTR welcomes two corporate members
- VA and USTA Foundation form partnership
- All HEAD Penn ladies racquetball final again
- Djokovic wins 3 Masters 1000 titles in a row
- ITF designates PTR Wheelchair Championships
- Roddick breaks Sampras record in Dallas
- Roddick ties Sampras record in Little Rock
- Roddick wins title in Austin
- Thelma Coyne Long has passed away