Corren Claims 19th Crown
Mike Corren claimed the 19th PSA World Tour squash title of his long career when he beat fellow Australian Nathan Stevenson to claim the PSA International Golden Open tournament today (Monday) in Kalgoorlie in Western Australia.
The 35-year-old top seed from South Australia had too much experience for his younger opponent, beating Queenslander Stevenson 11-7, 11-5, 11-2 to make it third time lucky on this year’s Australian squash tour.
Corren reached the final of the Top End Open and the City of Perth International in May, but fell at the last hurdle both times.
But he was not to be denied against 21-year-old Stevenson, who was making his first appearance in a main tour final.
Stevenson had earlier caused a major shock when he downed top-seeded Englishman Ben Ford in the semi-finals.
Ford won in Perth last weekend and was expected to take out the Golden Open as well - but was outplayed by Stevenson, who won in four games 11-6, 11-8, 9-11, 11-9.
Corren’s win consolidates his position behind David Palmer (25) for the most Professional Squash Association titles won by Australians on today’s Tour - while, by reaching his 32nd final, he moves ahead of Stewart Boswell for most appearances in a final, and is again behind only Palmer (52).
 Mike Corren (AUS) bt  Nathan Stevenson (AUS) 11-7, 11-5, 11-2 (29m)
Follow the action from the PSA World Tour live on WWW.PSALIVE.TV - the Professional Squash Association’s official webstreaming service. Enjoy live action, replays, download archive matches and enjoy exclusive Live & Uncut DVDs
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Head extends partnership with Stephens
- Tennis Channel adds on-air talent
- PTR on board with Coach Youth Tennis
- Agassi, Sampras, and Lendl honored
- Babolat: The legendary experience of the Majors
- Esguerra named PTR WI Member of the Year
- Burke named PTR GA Member of the Year
- Pugh receives PTR USTA Community Service Award
- Blouin named PTR Int'l Master Professional
- Godreau named PTR MS Member of the Year