Djokovic Takes Title in Front of Home Crowd
Austria - Kennelbach — HEAD Player Novak Djokovic defeated Lucacs Kubot from Poland in straight sets 6:3, 7:6 (0) in front of his home crowd to take the top spot at the Serbia Open. This victory marked the Serb’s 13th ATP career title. Djokovic plays with the YOUTEK Speed Pro.
“It is a great honor to be the first winner of Serbia Open. This victory means the most to me in my whole career, as this was the first time I played in front of domestic audience. All I would like to do tonight is to celebrate this victory with those closest to me,” said Djokovic.
Russian HEAD player Mikhail Youzhny advanced to the final round of the BMW Open in Munich, Germany where he was defeated by Czech Tomas Berdych. Youzhny lost in three tight sets 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5). Youzhny plays with a HEAD MicroGel Extreme Pro with Teflon polymer.
Among others, the unseeded 26-year old beat No. 3 Nicolas Almagro and No. 7 Paul-Henri Mathieu on his way to the final.
French HEAD Pro Jeremy Chardy claimed a semi final spot beating No. 2 seeded HEAD Fellow Marin Cilic 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 where he was finally defeated by eventual winner Berdych 6-1, 5-7, 6-2.
In Estoril, unseeded Paul Capdeville from Chile defeated No. 5 seeded David Nalbandian in the first round and reached the semi finals.
On the women’s side, Svetlana Kuznetsova claimed the final spot Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome winning against No. 3 seeded Jelena Jankovic 6-1 7-6 (3) and HEAD fellow player Victoria Azarenka in the semi final 6-2, 6-4.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- USF to host College Tennis Exposure Camp
- New date for Match for Africa 3
- Haas joins PlaySight team
- Ashaway Power Filament micro squash string
- USPTA to offer insurance options
- Fromuth seeks stringers for USTA National Campus
- PlaySight introduces challenge system
- Olympic tennis stadium to be demolished
- Sharapova returns to action October 10
- Ashaway continues as USA R'ball Official String