Novak Djokovic Captures First Title in 2009
Top-seeded HEAD player Novak Djokovic of Serbia claimed his 12th ATP World Tour title of his career after beating fourth seed David Ferrer of Spain 7-5, 6-3 at the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships.
Both players thrilled the crowd with exciting rallies, and although top-seeded Djokovic took the lead on several occasions his Spanish opponent repeatedly pulled himself back into contention.
“It’s a very important title — I had not started the year the way I may be wanted it and the way maybe the people expecting me to,” said Djokovic. “I try to release the pressure that I have and just play the tennis that I played in the first part of the 2008, and if I do so, I think I will be pretty successful.”
Several HEAD players made headlines in Dubai, including six of the eight playing in the quarter finals. On his way to the final round, Djokovic held off a strong challenge from third seeded Frenchman and fellow HEAD player Gilles Simon on Friday.
Also compatriot Richard Gasquet reached the semi final round as HEAD fellow player Andy Murray was forced to withdraw in the quarter finals due to a virus.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Babolat presents connected tennis
- adidas Roland Garros Collection by Y-3
- CopperWynd announces new Director of Tennis
- ITA secures partnership with Oracle
- Ashaway introduces ZyMax 62 Fire
- Tecnifibre launches ‘Young Guns’ contest
- More facilities offer 'Try Tennis Free'
- Tennis Channel adds two new shows
- Pros attend Cardio Tennis Trainer Summit
- PlayTennis.com gets key upgrades