Novak Djokovic Captures First Title in 2009
Top-seeded HEAD player Novak Djokovic of Serbia claimed his 12th ATP World Tour title of his career after beating fourth seed David Ferrer of Spain 7-5, 6-3 at the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships.
Both players thrilled the crowd with exciting rallies, and although top-seeded Djokovic took the lead on several occasions his Spanish opponent repeatedly pulled himself back into contention.
“It’s a very important title — I had not started the year the way I may be wanted it and the way maybe the people expecting me to,” said Djokovic. “I try to release the pressure that I have and just play the tennis that I played in the first part of the 2008, and if I do so, I think I will be pretty successful.”
Several HEAD players made headlines in Dubai, including six of the eight playing in the quarter finals. On his way to the final round, Djokovic held off a strong challenge from third seeded Frenchman and fellow HEAD player Gilles Simon on Friday.
Also compatriot Richard Gasquet reached the semi final round as HEAD fellow player Andy Murray was forced to withdraw in the quarter finals due to a virus.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- McInerney named 2016 ITA award winner
- Ashaway introduces Rally 21 Fire string
- Successful 2016 for Head tennis
- Play tennis for life
- Smashers take win in NBL thriller
- Langridge to feature at Sports Park
- Murray ends 2016 as No. 1
- Hitting partner of the top players
- USPTA offers USPA certification
- Tecnifibre extends partnership with ATP