Ferris State University Announces Director of PTM Program and Racquet Facility Manager
Ferris State University is pleased to announce the appointment of Derek Ameel as the Director of the Professional Tennis Management (PTM) program and Manager of the FSU Racquet & Fitness Center.
Ameel comes to Ferris State from Bainbridge, Georgia where he most recently served as Director of Tennis for the City of Bainbridge. Ameel oversaw the city’s tennis programs on their 26 courts, which included the 14 court Bill Reynolds Tennis Center.
Ameel brings a wealth of experience and education to the university and maintains numerous certifications including:
- USPTA P1/PTR Professional
- Certified Speed, Agility and Quickness Instructor
- Professional Tennis Training Consultant
- USTA High Performance Certification - specialist in Competitive Player Development
- USTA Level I and II Sport Science
Ameel has 25 years experience in the tennis industry which includes serving as the Tennis Director at the James Creek Tennis Center in Cumming, Georgia and Owner/President of Tennis N’ Training, Inc., in this capacity he worked with dozens of tennis academies, college teams, state level through ITF world ranked juniors, the USTA Player Development Program, and professional players. He worked for the Southern Tennis Association as a zonals coach for 8 years. Ameel also coached for the National Championships 12s, 16s, and 18s, as well as was the Mills/Redgrave coach in 2001, 2004, and 2005. From 1999-2006, Ameel represented Georgia as a coach for their Junior Davis/Fed Cup undefeated team. He has served as the Georgia Competition Training Center coordinator and head coach since 1998.
Ameel co-authored a three volume video series on training tennis players called “Explosive Power Training for Tennis”. For the last 12 years he has been a featured speaker at numerous local, state and sectional USPTA, GPTA, USTA, and fitness conventions.
A 1994 graduate, Ameel received his Bachelor of Science degree in Business/Professional Tennis Management from Ferris State University. While attending Ferris State University, Ameel played collegiate tennis and received the prestigious PTM “Student of the Year”/Ratioula Scholarship.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Head extends partnership with Stephens
- Tennis Channel adds on-air talent
- PTR on board with Coach Youth Tennis
- Agassi, Sampras, and Lendl honored
- Babolat: The legendary experience of the Majors
- Esguerra named PTR WI Member of the Year
- Burke named PTR GA Member of the Year
- Pugh receives PTR USTA Community Service Award
- Blouin named PTR Int'l Master Professional
- Godreau named PTR MS Member of the Year