The Championships, Wimbledon
Dates: June 23rd to July 6th, 2008
Event Venue: All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in London, England
Prize Money: £11,812,000 GBP
Defending Champion: Venus Williams of the USA
The top tennis players in the world make their way to the grass courts of the All England Club for the 132nd Wimbledon Championships.
Number one seed Ana Ivanovic will look to win her second Grand Slam after defeating Dinara Safina to win the French Open earlier this month. Standing in Ivanovc’s way are second seed and fellow Serb Jelena Jankovic who is seeking her first Slam and third seed Maria Sharapova, the 2004 Wimbledon champion.
And let’s not forget the Williams sisters who have combined to win six of the last eight Wimbledon titles. The pair will look to continue their success this year, and hopefully bounce back from a disappointing French Open when both Venus and Serena Williams were eliminated in surprising upsets by the 26th and 25th seeds, respectively.
Will Ivanovic win her second-straight Grand Slam title? Or will the Williams sisters regain their form to dominate Wimbledon once again? Who will raise the Rosewater Dish at center court in two weeks time?
Be sure to discuss your thoughts and predictions for the 2008 Wimbledon Championships at www.tennisforum.com.
Discussion link: http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1109
Enjoy the matches,
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- WTT ‘Poised For Next Phase of Growth,’ Says BJK
- Hingis named Global Ambassador for ITHF
- USTA to host fifth annual job fair
- Blake to coach Aviators for opener
- Record ratings for Tennis Channel
- Peggy Edwards receives 2015 APEX Award
- Arthur Ashe Stadium roof ‘topped off’
- Murray teams up with Seedrs
- Macatee joins USTA Foundation BoD
- Special guests at Rolex HoF enshrinement