John McEnroe to Return to New York Sportimes for 2008 World TeamTennis Season
NEW YORK, N.Y. (March 19, 2008) — John McEnroe will return for his 8th season with the World TeamTennis Pro League presented by Advanta when the Hall of Famer plays three road matches for the New York Sportimes this summer.
McEnroe visits the Philadelphia Freedoms on July 14, followed by appearances against the Washington Kastles on July 15 and the Newport Beach Breakers on July 22.
McEnroe, known for his brilliant shot-making and on-court theatrics, is a former world No. 1 who captured seven Grand Slam singles titles during his career. He also won nine Grand Slam men’s doubles titles, and one Grand Slam mixed doubles title.
McEnroe joins an all-star lineup of tennis talent for the 2008 season, which runs July 3-23 in 11 markets. Other top names include Lindsay Davenport (Newport Beach Breakers), Serena Williams (Washington Kastles), Andy Roddick (St. Louis Aces), Venus Williams (Philadelphia Freedoms), Martina Navratilova (Boston Lobsters), Anna Kournikova (St. Louis Aces) and Bob and Mike Bryan (Kansas City Explorers).
Team lineups will be completed on April 1 when WTT holds their annual player draft in Miami. The 2008 WTT schedule includes 77 regular season matches in 11 markets beginning July 3 and running through July 23. Five teams will advance to the WTT Championship Weekend, July 24-27 in Roseville, Calif.
For more information on the World TeamTennis Pro League presented by Advanta, visit www.WTT.com.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Rafa Nadal: First Match, First Data
- Men's Pro Circuit returns to Fairfield
- Tennis artist baffles Djokovic
- Tennis Channel is #1 affluent ad-supported network
- Babolat presents connected tennis
- adidas Roland Garros Collection by Y-3
- CopperWynd announces new Director of Tennis
- ITA secures partnership with Oracle
- Ashaway introduces ZyMax 62 Fire
- Tecnifibre launches ‘Young Guns’ contest