COLLEGE TENNIS: Gustavus Adolphus captures title at ITA Division III National Men's Team Indoor Championship
SAINT PETER, MINN. -– Host and No. 3 seed Gustavus Adolphus upset defending champions and No. 1 seed UC-Santa Cruz 5-4, in Sunday’s final at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division III National Men’s Team Indoor Championship at the Swanson Tennis Center. Gustavus Adolphus College is hosting this year’s event for the sixth consecutive year.
This is Gustavus’ fourth Team Indoor title. The Golden Gusties won two of the doubles points in today’s final and got wins from senior Andy Bryan, John Kauss and Ben Tomasek. Tomasek clinched the match at No. 5 singles, beating Marc Vartabedian, 6-1, 6-3.
In doubles, Gustavus took an early lead, winning two of the three doubles points. Kauss and Mike Burdakin got a win at No. 2 doubles, beating Ilya Gendelman and Max Liberty-Point, 8-4. At No. 3 doubles, it was Tomasek and Nick Hansen who got the win for the Gusties, beating Ortiz and Collin Mark-Griffin, 8-2. The Slugs got their only doubles point in the No. 1 spot, where Kammel and Vartabedian beat Bryan and Charlie Paukert, 8-4.
The Gusties got singles wins at Nos. 1 and 2 early in the match to take a 4-2 lead. Kauss beat Ortiz 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2 singles, while Bryan beat Kemel, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 1 spot to put Gustavus up 4-2. UC-Santa Cruz got an early point at No. 3 singles, where Mark-Griffin beat Burkadin, 6-4, 6-4, to keep the Slugs in the match with two points. But Tomasek held on to win at No. 5 singles, clinching the win for the home team. Santa Cruz also got a singles win from Liberty-Point at No. 4 and Gendelman at No. 6.
This was the fifth finals appearance for the Banana Slugs at this tournament, and their third in four years. UCSC has won the title twice: in 2001, and most recently, in 2007.
This was the Golden Gusties’ fourth finals appearance since the tournament began in 2001. Gustavus has won this title four times: in 2002, 2003, 2006, and now 2008.
In the third place match, No. 5 seed Washington (Mo.) upset No. 2 seed Emory, 8-1. The Bears swept Emory in all three doubles points, and won at Nos. 3 and 1 singles to clinch the win. John Watts had the deciding victory at No. 1 singles, as he beat Michael Goodwin, 6-3, 6-4. Washington also got singles wins from Max Woods, Chris Hoeland and Isaac Stein. Emory’s lone point came at No. 2 singles, where Mark Boren beat Charlie Cutlers, 6-1, 6-0.
Gustavus Adolphus beat Emory in the semifinals, 6-3. UC-Santa Cruz beat Washington 6-3.
This event, which features eight of the nation’s top Division III programs, has annually crowned a national indoor champion since 2001. This is the sixth consecutive year that the ITA Division III Indoor Championship has been held at the Swanson Tennis Center on the campus of Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota.
No. 3 Gustavus Adolphus 5, No. 1 UC-Santa Cruz 4
1. Jard Kamel/Marc Vartabedian (UCSC) def. Andy Bryan/Charlie Paukert (GA), 8-4
2. John Kauss/Mike Burdakin (GA) def. Max Liberty-Point/Ilya Gendelman (UCSC), 8-4
3.Ben Tomasek/Nick Hansen (GA) def. Max Ortiz/Collin Mark-Griffin (UCSC), 8-2
1. Andy Bryan (GA) def. Jared Kamel (UCSC), 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. John Kauss (GA) def. Max Ortiz (UCSC), 6-2, 6-4
3. Collin Mark-Griffin (UCSC) def. Mike Burkadin (GA), 6-4, 6-4
4. Max Liberty-Point (UCSC) def. Charlie Paukert (GA), 6-4, 6-4
5. Ben Tomasek (GA) def. Marc Vartabedian (UCSC), 6-1, 6-3*
6. Ilya Gendelman (UCSC) vs. Aaron Zenner (GA), 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 5*, 4, 6
* - clinched match
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Better tennis through science
- USPTA partners with TrueCar
- PTR Instructing Wheelchair Tennis Workshop
- Ashaway offers new bulk reels
- Pro introduces children to the magic of tennis
- USTA honors 12 outstanding facilities
- TGA launches first franchise in Oregon
- Orr joins HEAD Penn team
- Longacre named acting head pro
- Tennis Channel to cover US Open Series