This Week in Tennis: The China Open
Date: September 17th to September 23rd
Event Venue: Beijing Tennis Center
Total Prize Money: $600,000
The Beijing Tennis Center has been seeing some serious competitive action this week as it plays host to the China Open. The finals are set for this Sunday when the winner will be awarded $88,265.
World No. 3 Jelena Jankovic has been dominating the China Open and has advanced to the quarterfinals where she will go up against Japan’s, Aiko Nakamura.
Unseeded Lindsay Davenport has also had a very strong week in China. She is freshly back on the court after taking a year long break due to the birth of her baby. Davenport will face fourth-seeded Elena Dementieva.
Other quarterfinal action will see third-seeded Amelie Mauresmo against Shuai Peng and sixth-seeded Agnes Szavay versus Maria Emilia Salerni. Salerni was placed in the draw when top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova withdrew due to injury.
Who do you think will leave the court a winner on Sunday? Jankovic? Mauresmo?
Be sure to discuss your thoughts and predictions at wtaworld.com.
Enjoy the matches,
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Rome Tennis Center grand opening
- ITHF courts dedicated
- Tecnifibre the official Citi Open stringer
- WTT Smash Hits returns to Caesars Palace
- US Open purse surpasses $46 million
- Snodgrass adds tennis division
- Chase to support 10 NJTL chapters
- Murray makes history in London
- ‘Zero poly’ alternatives gaining momentum
- WTA legends reunite at Wimbledon