The US Open is nearing the Finals!
When: August 27th to September 9th, 2007
Event Venue: The USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Prize Money: $19,600,000 US
Women’s Single Winner: $1,400,000 US
Defending: Maria Sharapova
Broadcast: USA Network and CBS (see your local listings)
This year’s US Open has not let us down, as we have been fortunate to witness some great action from the courts of the Arthur Ashe Stadium. We are quickly nearing the finals of this two week long event and will see some fierce play in the semi’s.
No. 12-seeded Venus Williams will play top seed Justine Henin in the semi-finals tomorrow. Venus holds a very impressive record against the worlds No. 1 with a 7-1 lifetime record. The last time these two faced each other was back in 2003 at the Australian Open semi-final where Venus came off the court victorious. Earlier this week Henin ousted Serena Williams in the quarters, so with that being said Venus may be even more riled up to beat Henin. The other semi-final match-up will be an all Russian affair with the likes of No. 4-seed Svetlana Kuznetsova against No. 6-seed Anna Chakvetadze. Kuznetsova is favored to win the match as she was the US Open winner back in 2004.
Will Henin be able to do a Williams sister sweep or will Venus hold her ground and make the US fans proud? Which Russian do you think will be heading to the finals?
Be sure to discuss your thoughts and predictions at www.wtaworld.com.
Discussion Link: http://wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=961
Catch you online,
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Head extends partnership with Stephens
- Tennis Channel adds on-air talent
- PTR on board with Coach Youth Tennis
- Agassi, Sampras, and Lendl honored
- Babolat: The legendary experience of the Majors
- Esguerra named PTR WI Member of the Year
- Burke named PTR GA Member of the Year
- Pugh receives PTR USTA Community Service Award
- Blouin named PTR Int'l Master Professional
- Godreau named PTR MS Member of the Year