HEAD Pros Swing into the Finals at the U.S. Open
KENNELBACH, AUSTRIA — HEAD players enjoyed two weeks of challenging and successful tournaments in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. at the 2007 U.S. Open.
World No. 2 and HEAD player Svetlana Kuznetsova battled her way through to the final round of the U.S. Open to face Justine Henin. Kuznetsova, who plays with the HEAD MicroGel Extreme, defeated No. 6 seed Anna Chakvetadze 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 on her way to the final round, but lost in the final 1-6, 3-6 to World No. 1 Henin.
“[Henin] is No. 1 now and I think she deserves it,” said Kuznetsova. “I think I learned a lot from this final and can work on my game to improve. I think the match was much closer than the score, for sure.”
During the men’s doubles final, HEAD players Julian Knowle and Simon Aspelin won the men’s doubles title against No. 9 seeds Lukas Dlouhy and Pavel Vizner. Knowle and Aspelin, who each wield HEAD Liquidmetal Prestige racquets on the court, defeated Dlouhy and Vizner 7-5, 6-4.
“It’s a dream come true,” said Knowle “The pressure was getting pretty big the last couple of days because we knew we were playing really well, and we had a big chance to win this whole thing.’’
HEAD’s “young guns” also enjoyed success in early rounds of the U.S. Open:
- 16-year-old Tamira Paszek, the youngest participant in the ladies’ draw, defeated No. 11 seed Patty Schnyder in the third round 4-6, 6-4, 7-6. Paszek plays with the HEAD MicroGel Radical Pro.
- Victoria Azarenka and partner Max Mirnyi won the mixed doubles competition. Azarenka also advanced to the fourth round of the women’s singles competition, defeating former World No. 1 and No. 16 seed Martina Hingis. 18-year-old Azarenka plays with the HEAD MicroGel Extreme Pro.
- 19-year-old Ernests Gulbis defeated No. 6 seed Tommy Robredo 6-1, 6-3, 6-2 to reach the fourth round of the men’s singles competition. Gulbis plays with the HEAD Flexpoint Prestige Mid.
- Junior Wimbledon winner Donald Young reached the third round in the men’s singles competition with his HEAD Flexpoint Radical MP.
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Isner joins forces with RAPIDFORCE
- Dover Squash & Fitness partners with MIT
- USPTA recognizes industry leaders
- Gamma hires Merritt
- ITHF presents Racquets & Fashion
- PTR reaches 15,000 member mark
- Mount Sinai shares healthy menu tips
- Raonic clinches US Open series
- Mount Sinai shares sun tips
- Sony's Smart Tennis Sensor helps your game