Ljubicic and Karlovic Celebrate First Grass Court Victory
Kennelbach – Austria – June 2007 - HEAD players Ivan Ljubicic and compatriot Ivo Karlovic from Croatia both won their first grass court title last week. Ljubicic won in s’Hertogenbosch while Karlovic succeeded in Nottingham.
HEAD Player and No. 2 seed Ivan Ljubicic won the title at the Ordina Open in s’Hertogenbosch against Dutch qualifier Peter Wessels 7-6(5), 4-6, 7-6(4). The win marks Ljubicic’s second ATP title of the season and eighth title of his career.
“[The win] gives me a lot of confidence,” said Ljubicic, who plays with a HEAD MicroGel Extreme Pro. “I feel very good; I’ve never felt this good before any Wimbledon in the past so maybe this is going to be different.”
HEAD player Ivo Karlovic claimed his second ATP title of his career in Nottingham with a win against fellow HEAD player Arnaud Clement. Karlovic, who plays with the HEAD Flexpoint Instinct, beat the No. 8 seed Frenchman 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. Clement plays with a Flexpoint Prestige MP.
“To tell the truth, I didn’t really expect to win,” said Karlovic. “I came here to play a few matches; I was the last player in the draw.”
The 29-year-old Croatian won his first ATP title last April in Houston on a clay court.
Playing with the new HEAD MicroGel Radical MP, HEAD Player Amélie Mauresmo reached the final of the International Women’s Open in Eastbourne, facing World No. 1 Justine Henin. Mauresmo battled through the high winds, but ultimately lost to Henin 7-5, 6-7(4), 7-6(2).
TIMag.com news search
Latest TIMag.com news
- Head extends partnership with Stephens
- Tennis Channel adds on-air talent
- PTR on board with Coach Youth Tennis
- Agassi, Sampras, and Lendl honored
- Babolat: The legendary experience of the Majors
- Esguerra named PTR WI Member of the Year
- Burke named PTR GA Member of the Year
- Pugh receives PTR USTA Community Service Award
- Blouin named PTR Int'l Master Professional
- Godreau named PTR MS Member of the Year