Park & Rec Agency of the Year: COR Tennis/Reading Rec Commission
At a time when many parks and recreation departments are cutting budgets and programs, COR Tennis & the Reading (Pa.) Recreation Commission has helped tennis thrive through the power of community partnerships.
Starting small in 1998, COR provided staff to conduct USTA school tennis assemblies. From there, COR expanded outreach to local schools, businesses and clubs, with support from tennis retailer Fromuth.
COR Tennis Director Larry Zerbe has been instrumental. “Larry sets high expectations for staff and players,” says Renee Lenz, tennis service rep for USTA Middle States. “He develops great tennis players, but, more importantly, he develops great kids.”
Today, the courts in Reading are filled with families, a testament to the positive impact COR Tennis continues to have.
— Peg Connor
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Take Full Advantage
- Industry News
- Junior Tournaments: Playing for Time
- GrassrootsTennis: Play It Forward!
- Retailing Tip: Futures Market
- RacquetTech: Proper Grip Installation
- Frame Outlook 2017: Frames in Mind
- Shoe Outlook 2017: Stepping Forward
- String Outlook 2017: Educational Initiative
- Apparel Outlook 2017: Mixed Company