Mass Merchant/Chain of the Year: PGA Tour Superstore
By Kent Oswald
PGA Tour Superstore earns customer and manufacturer plaudits with the retail equivalent of an all-court game. Its 27 (and growing) big-box locations each devote about 5,000 square feet to tennis inventory, have in-store hitting alleys and, in some cases, actual courts. Many stores also have Master Racquet Technicians on staff.
The company also works well with its vendors. “PGA is a good partner in helping educate consumers and advocating for our sport,” according to Mickey Maule, Wilson’s regional commercial director of racquet sports. “They go above and beyond in their merchandising support and in showcasing tennis.”
For those questioning why a store with golf in its name is so interested in tennis, Chief Marketing Officer Matt Corey answers: “Golf and tennis go hand-in-hand, with many households having family members playing both. We focus on taking care of our customers one at a time, and our goal is to inspire them to play their best.”
See all articles by Kent Oswald
About the Author
Kent Oswald is a contributor to TennisNow.com, producer at the JockBookReview.com and a former editor of Tennis Week magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Take Full Advantage
- Industry News
- Junior Tournaments: Playing for Time
- GrassrootsTennis: Play It Forward!
- Retailing Tip: Futures Market
- RacquetTech: Proper Grip Installation
- Frame Outlook 2017: Frames in Mind
- Shoe Outlook 2017: Stepping Forward
- String Outlook 2017: Educational Initiative
- Apparel Outlook 2017: Mixed Company