Tennis Industry service award: David LaSota
When it comes to tennis in the U.S., it’s hard to find an area of this country that has not in some way been touched by the work of David LaSota.
A licensed professional engineer and founder of DW LaSota Engineering Inc. of Patton, Pa., LaSota has over 25 years of civil engineering expertise, and for the past decade he’s been working with the USTA in all areas of facility consultation, design and construction. He’s contributed to projects ranging from a single court at a park, to private clubs, to large municipal facilities, to the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York and the USTA National Campus in Orlando.
This year, Tennis Industry magazine has created the Tennis Industry Service Award, and we’re thrilled to honor David LaSota as our inaugural winner.
If a group comes to the USTA looking for help with courts, that request will land with LaSota. “I’ve worked on more than 6,000 facilities for which we’ve provided technical assistance, concepts, facility assessments, or some other sort of help,” says LaSota, who himself is an avid recreational and league tennis player.
In addition to his hands-on work, he is the chair of the USTA/American Sports Builders Association group that updates and revises the massive “Tennis Courts: Construction & Maintenance Manual” every few years.
“We’re so thankful David lent his expertise and experience to us and the tennis community,” says Virgil Christian, the USTA’s senior director of market/facility development and collegiate tennis. “There is hardly a community that has not benefited in some way from his design and technical knowledge. He has had an incredible impact on tennis.” — Peter Francesconi
Tips for Success
- Keep up with trends and don’t be afraid to be a trailblazer.
- Be meticulous. Pay attention to all the details.
- Invest in quality design and materials. It will reduce maintenance, rehabilitation and replacement going forward.
- Remember, tennis is a lifetime sport. Build something that all ages can enjoy.
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of Tennis Industry magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Executive Point: Dr. Jack Groppel
- Social Media: Video Frequency
- 2016 Tennis Industry magazine Champions of Tennis
- Person of the year: Don Tisdel
- Tennis Industry Service Award: Randy Futty
- Private Facility of the year: Sea Colony Tennis Club
- Grassroots Champion of the Year: Scott Hanover
- Pro/Specialty Retailer of the Year: Game-Set-Match
- Municipal Tennis Facility of the Year: Oklahoma City Tennis Center