Stringer of the year: Julian Li
Julian Li and his brother John opened their retail store, Racquets Rackets, in Arcadia, Calif., in 1991. Now, it is known throughout California as the place to go for superior racquet service. And while the brothers serve local customers through their shop, both men also string on the pro tour as well.
In 1993, not long after opening the store, Julian Li was selected to be part of the US Open stringing team, and he hasn’t slowed down since, adding tournaments all over the world to his long resume. “Traveling to these tournaments has allowed me to work with and learn from some of the industry’s best stringers, racquet and string engineers, and stringing machine designers,” he says. “I can’t thank these people enough. They allow me to enter their world to help me further hone my craft and expand my knowledge.”
When you add his 22 years of pro tour stringing to his extensive experience in providing top-notch service for recreational customers — gaining the respect of pro and rec players alike, along with coaches and his peers in the industry — you have Tennis Industry’s 2015 Stringer of the Year.
For 2015, Li was selected to lead the new Head stringing team at the BNP Paribas Open. “Julian did a great job running the stringing booth at Indian Wells in Head’s first year stringing for the event,” says Head USA President Greg Mason. “His work ethic, consistency and tennis knowledge gives him the ability to work well with players of all levels.” — Bob Patterson
Tips for Success
- Never stop learning! You can always continue to refine your craft by learning from others.
- Consistency is vital for any racquet service, but especially for the pros, where you are stringing multiple racquets every day.
- Networking among your peers and others within the industry will allow you to find opportunities for growth.
See all articles by Bob Patterson
About the Author
Bob Patterson , the founder of the RacquetMAXX customization service, is a Master Racquet Technician with more than 20 years of experience. He was RSI's Stringer of the Year in 2005. He is Executive Director for the U.S. Racquet Stringers Association.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Executive Point: Dr. Jack Groppel
- Social Media: Video Frequency
- 2016 Tennis Industry magazine Champions of Tennis
- Person of the year: Don Tisdel
- Tennis Industry Service Award: Randy Futty
- Private Facility of the year: Sea Colony Tennis Club
- Grassroots Champion of the Year: Scott Hanover
- Pro/Specialty Retailer of the Year: Game-Set-Match
- Municipal Tennis Facility of the Year: Oklahoma City Tennis Center