Builder/Contractor of the Year: Lower Bros. Co. Inc.
Lower Bros. Co. Inc. of Birmingham, Ala., didn’t start out as a court construction company — it was in the waterproofing business. A promotional partnership with Laykold, however, convinced the company president at the time to give tennis courts a try. And today, after 45 years, it’s fair to say the company has cemented its place in the industry, and along with it, is 2015’s TI Builder/Contractor of the Year.
Current President Linn Lower, who started working on tennis courts as a teenager, has been able to see technical advancements in the industry help the sport evolve. More importantly, he has been able to help his customers make the right decisions when it comes to court care because, as he puts it, “When they look at their courts 10 years from now, the only person they are going to remember is me.”
The company has contributed significantly to the industry. Linn Lower currently is on the ASBA Board and is a Certified Tennis Court Builder. He assisted with the development of certification forms and also is on the Technical Committee. The company’s projects have also been honored in ASBA’s awards program.
Lower realizes his company’s reputation is always at stake. “Some superintendents give us a job and think we can work miracles,” he says. “So we try.” — Mary Helen Sprecher
Tips for Success
- Always take care of the client. “People know they can count on us,” Lower says.
- Do quality work; people will always remember that.
- You can expand your capabilities without overextending. “If you can consolidate workforce and overhead, you’ll still be able to expand during the boom times but maintain the flexibility to keep up when work drops off.”
See all articles by Mary Helen Sprecher
About the Author
Mary Helen Sprecher is the managing editor of Sports Destinations Management Magazine, a niche business-to-business publication for planners of sports travel events, in addition to being an RSI Contributing Editor. She is the technical writer for the American Sports Builders Association and works as a newspaper reporter in Baltimore City.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Executive Point: Dr. Jack Groppel
- Social Media: Video Frequency
- 2016 Tennis Industry magazine Champions of Tennis
- Person of the year: Don Tisdel
- Tennis Industry Service Award: Randy Futty
- Private Facility of the year: Sea Colony Tennis Club
- Grassroots Champion of the Year: Scott Hanover
- Pro/Specialty Retailer of the Year: Game-Set-Match
- Municipal Tennis Facility of the Year: Oklahoma City Tennis Center