Community tennis association of the year: Corpus Christi Tennis Association
USTA Texas’s 2016 initiative — ”Play It Forward” — is designed to encourage players to give the gift of tennis. The Corpus Christi Tennis Association (CCTA), however, has been “playing it forward” since its founding in 1960. And for this year, CCTA is TI’s Community Tennis Association of the Year.
Under the direction of current Executive Director Penny Maingot, its 19-member board, and a group of dedicated advisors, CCTA works diligently to build on its successes and positively impact the lives of the residents of the Coastal Bend.
Grassroots programming, partnerships and charitable initiatives have always been the heart of the CCTA. Every year, the organization introduces more than 500 kids to tennis, awards up to 10 scholarships to graduating seniors, and runs the tennis competition for Special Olympics South Texas. CCTA also hosts seven USTA-sanctioned tournaments each year, and boasts over 700 USTA League players. The group’s recent efforts include funding renovations to the HEB and Al Kruse tennis centers. And CCTA recently embarked on two innovative grow-the-game initiatives: a Diversity and Wellness Program, and a new 39 and Under Social Tennis Club.
“The passion behind the Corpus Christi Tennis Association’s hard work helps to ensure we have enough resources in order to play it forward,” says past President Terry Sweet. — Katy Rogers
Tips for Success
- Remain clear about your mission.
- Recruit and train people with a passion for the game, and leverage their strengths.
- Forge partnerships with other entities that share your goals and will promote success.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Industry News
- Executive Point: Dr. Jack Groppel
- Social Media: Video Frequency
- 2016 Tennis Industry magazine Champions of Tennis
- Person of the year: Don Tisdel
- Tennis Industry Service Award: Randy Futty
- Private Facility of the year: Sea Colony Tennis Club
- Grassroots Champion of the Year: Scott Hanover
- Pro/Specialty Retailer of the Year: Game-Set-Match
- Municipal Tennis Facility of the Year: Oklahoma City Tennis Center