High school coach of the year: Danny Espinosa
His unwavering leadership skills, dedication and enthusiasm for tennis, along with the profound impact he continues to make in the lives of so many young players, is why Danny Espinosa of Brownsville, Texas, recently was named to the 2015 USTA No-Cut Coach All-Star Team. And now he is Tennis Industry’s choice for High School Coach of the Year.
Espinosa has been coaching at Rivera Early College High School for 22 years. He’s coached a number of district champions, and has coached his team to a second-place finish in 2011-2012. But Espinosa’s expertise with coaching young players has also allowed his influence to go beyond the court. He has served on the Brownsville Tennis Association’s Board of Directors for 20 years. He is an active member of the South Texas Tennis Coaches Association, and he played an integral role in the planning, fundraising and building of the 16-court Brownsville Tennis Center in 1999.
Espinosa would be the first to say his greatest accomplishment was acting as a change-agent for the future of tennis in the City of Brownsville and inspiring the hearts and minds of today’s student-athletes. — Katy Rogers
Tips for Success
- It is not how much you know, but how much you care.
- In order to remain a team with a culture of success, every coach and player must be mindful of the team’s core values.
- There is no substitute for hard work.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Take Full Advantage
- Industry News
- Junior Tournaments: Playing for Time
- GrassrootsTennis: Play It Forward!
- Retailing Tip: Futures Market
- RacquetTech: Proper Grip Installation
- Frame Outlook 2017: Frames in Mind
- Shoe Outlook 2017: Stepping Forward
- String Outlook 2017: Educational Initiative
- Apparel Outlook 2017: Mixed Company