PTR member of the year: Mark Kovacs
It seems hard to turn anywhere in this sport and not run into Dr. Mark Kovacs. A renowned performance physiologist, researcher, university professor, author, speaker and coach, Kovacs has an extensive background training and researching athletes at all levels. His many honors include receiving the Stanley Plagenhoef Award for sports science achievement and in 2012, he became the youngest ever recipient of the International Tennis Hall of Fame’s Educational Merit Award.
Kovacs, who is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, also chairs the PTR’s Sports Science Committee. He’s been a PTR member for many years, and works closely with the PTR on many initiatives. And for 2015, Kovacs is our PTR Member of the Year.
“Mark has established himself as one of the leading experts in his field,” says PTR CEO Dan Santorum. “He and his organization — the International Tennis Performance Association (ITPA) — have done a great deal to provide quality education to PTR members throughout the world.”
Kovacs formerly directed the Sport Science, Strength & Conditioning and Coaching Education departments for USTA. Now, though, he’s the founder and executive director of the ITPA, which has members in 35 countries. “There is a lot going on,” he says. “A lot of the tennis-specific education is delivered through the ITPA. I also work individually with athletes.” He’s worked with more than two dozen top professional tennis players on all aspects of physical training.
“It’s all good stuff, all fun stuff, and all very enjoyable,” he says. — Peter Francesconi
Tips for Success
- Find areas in the tennis industry you’re passionate about and commit to being the best you can be in that segment.
- Be a lifelong learner, because there is so much new information coming out, you have to keep up to date.
- Make sure your energy level is at the highest, at all times, whether it’s the first lesson of the day or the last one at night.
- Be respectful and learn from everyone.
See all articles by Peter Francesconi
About the Author
Peter Francesconi is editorial director of Tennis Industry magazine.
TI magazine search
TI magazine articles
- Our Serve: Repair and Replace
- Industry News
- Racquet Tech: Taking Stock
- Grassroots Tennis: Play It Forward!
- Retailing Tip: Give Them a Show
- Facility Management: Wage Differential
- Guide to Strings: Educational Initiative
- Home of American Tennis — Open For Business!
- Court Lighting: Light Reaction